6ft Goldfish Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

claysaquarium

Reaction score
Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this.
I have a 6ft fish tank (500L) and I'm looking for some new filtration. The current canister I have is a Giantz Aquarium Canister Filter (1250L) which is only temporary. I have 10 fancy goldfish in there currently and do biweekly water changes (as the filter is far too small).
Basically, I'm having trouble finding which filtration to use (which brands are better or whatnot) and I'm looking for some suggestions. :)
Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Are you saying the filter is to small for the tank? (As in it looks small?)

Or are you saying the GPH (gallons per hour) isn’t enough?

The GPH for a 500L tank should be around 1,240. What is the GPH on your filter now?

Thank you! Also my bad! I thought it was too small, it's GPH is 1,250. I wasn't entirely sure how to work out the required filtration, but nonetheless nevermind haha!

Thank you! Also my bad! I thought it was too small, it's GPH is 1,250. I wasn't entirely sure how to work out the required filtration, but nonetheless nevermind haha!
No problem! Yes, if its GPH is 1,250, then it is more than enough for your 500L tank. Any more questions? :)

Let’s see, that’s 132 U.S. gallons. 20 gallons for first fancy and 10 for each additional is 110G. So you‘re within proper stocking levels. I wouldn’t add anymore fish though. I use AquaClear HOB’s on my goldie tanks. I keep one on each end. They do the job and I like them because you can add what you want in them. I use the sponge filter that comes with it, plus a courser one and the bio beads that come with it. I also do a weekly 75% water change. I bet it’s a beautiful tank with that many goldfish swimming around. I have 3 fancies in a 55G but one is 8” long. The other 45G tank has 2 goldies in it.

Fluval and ehiem make great canister filters,

If you want HOB, as Deanasue had mentioned, 2 AC110 would do the trick and I'd throw some sponge filters in there just for good measure.

We tend to over filtrate in the hobby since it's so hard to measure how much we really need.

We need enough biological filtration to keep ammonia at zero and enough mechanical to make the tank pleasing to the eye. You'd be surprised to know little you really need in an established tank.

With all that being said, all of my tanks probably have far more filtration than it actually needs, but I plan to keep things that way "just in case"

Most reactions

trending

Back