60L Pygmy cory tank, featuring Psuedomugli luminatus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've never been a skilled photographer, and I've unfortunately fallen in love with fish that are incredibly fast, and difficult to photograph! But I'm doing my best and want to capture how the tank looks right now (it's looked better!) and how it improves over time, hopefully!
This was actually my first ever tank of my own! Not counting the tank I inherited from my dad. Hence the whiteish gravel - beginner mistake! When I got my first pygmy cory since she was alone in the tank at the store, I removed a bunch of gravel and added a Unipac aquarium silver sand beach at the front. At the time it housed my otocinclus and the remaining male guppies I had left after breeding livebearers. Here is how the tank looked in August 2021, probably the best it's ever looked.

DSCF7712.JPG

I ended up keeping the gravel because once I finally managed to get some more pygmy cories and had a group of seven, they began breeding, and I found two tiny pygmy fry in the tank! I was over the moon, completely unexpected. They've been breeding really well ever since, so I haven't wanted to do a full tear down to switch completely to sand. It's working for them the way it is, so I don't want to risk ruining it! I have an hypothesis that the gravel may actually be helping with that, that the micro-critters like seed shrimp that I get in this tank as a result of mulm in the gravel, and breaking down almond leaves etc is largely what the pygmy fry feed on in between the meals I give, and that's why they're able to raise themselves in there so well.

I started with seven pygmies, and they easily reached somewhere between 30-40 in there before I began selling some small groups of juveniles, just to prevent the tank bursting at the seams. Have never been able to get an accurate headcount due to so many plants and tiny fry, I'd have to tear down the tank to catch them all and count, and no need to do that. :)

Tank is a bit of a mess at the moment, some plants doing well, others struggling a bit. I've been forgetting to add ferts and root tabs lately, and I've let the algae grow everywhere but the front glass, for the otos. Will try to remember to add ferts tomorrow, I gave the tank a bit of a tidy up today during the W/C and filter clean, but forgot ferts again... no wonder my vallis is struggling!

DSCF9922.JPG
DSCF9977.JPG
DSCF0069.JPG
DSCF0164.JPG
DSCF9887.JPG

Got four Psuedomugli luminatus recently in trade with another hobbyist, love them! They're in here for now because I'm switching out my other tank, once that's done I hope to have a school of these and possibly a school of celebes rainbows in the 63g. I'd like to spawn these as well, fingers crossed!
DSCF0083.JPG
DSCF0157.JPG

I've never been a skilled photographer, and I've unfortunately fallen in love with fish that are incredibly fast, and difficult to photograph! But I'm doing my best and want to capture how the tank looks right now (it's looked better!) and how it improves over time, hopefully!
This was actually my first ever tank of my own! Not counting the tank I inherited from my dad. Hence the whiteish gravel - beginner mistake! When I got my first pygmy cory since she was alone in the tank at the store, I removed a bunch of gravel and added a Unipac aquarium silver sand beach at the front. At the time it housed my otocinclus and the remaining male guppies I had left after breeding livebearers. Here is how the tank looked in August 2021, probably the best it's ever looked.

View attachment 165997

I ended up keeping the gravel because once I finally managed to get some more pygmy cories and had a group of seven, they began breeding, and I found two tiny pygmy fry in the tank! I was over the moon, completely unexpected. They've been breeding really well ever since, so I haven't wanted to do a full tear down to switch completely to sand. It's working for them the way it is, so I don't want to risk ruining it! I have an hypothesis that the gravel may actually be helping with that, that the micro-critters like seed shrimp that I get in this tank as a result of mulm in the gravel, and breaking down almond leaves etc is largely what the pygmy fry feed on in between the meals I give, and that's why they're able to raise themselves in there so well.

I started with seven pygmies, and they easily reached somewhere between 30-40 in there before I began selling some small groups of juveniles, just to prevent the tank bursting at the seams. Have never been able to get an accurate headcount due to so many plants and tiny fry, I'd have to tear down the tank to catch them all and count, and no need to do that. :)

Tank is a bit of a mess at the moment, some plants doing well, others struggling a bit. I've been forgetting to add ferts and root tabs lately, and I've let the algae grow everywhere but the front glass, for the otos. Will try to remember to add ferts tomorrow, I gave the tank a bit of a tidy up today during the W/C and filter clean, but forgot ferts again... no wonder my vallis is struggling!

View attachment 166048View attachment 166049View attachment 166050View attachment 166051View attachment 166052

Got four Psuedomugli luminatus recently in trade with another hobbyist, love them! They're in here for now because I'm switching out my other tank, once that's done I hope to have a school of these and possibly a school of celebes rainbows in the 63g. I'd like to spawn these as well, fingers crossed! View attachment 166053View attachment 166054
those are some really nice photos!

May I ask what tank and filter you have

Sure! The tank is just a 60L/15.5g, not sure of brand though, and it's running a double sponge filter with sections for ceramics, and a HOB filter.

Bear in mind that technically I'm wildly overstocked, numbers wise. I only get away with it because my fish are tiny with a small bioload, I have a decent amount of live plants, and I do plenty of water changes to keep the water quality up. :)

Gravel protects the fry very well and gives them a safe place to hang out. There is also a multitude of yummy bugs for them to eat hidden away in the gravel.

Gravel protects the fry very well and gives them a safe place to hang out. There is also a multitude of yummy bugs for them to eat hidden away in the gravel.
Hmm, I don't why the gravel would be any safer for them to hide in than the many plants, or under the slate cave - but I'll definitely grant you that I think the mulm in the gravel helps contribute to the amount of micro organisms living in the tank that the fry can feed on.

If I had the space/spare tanks etc to try it, I'd set up a sand only tank that's as similar as possible and move half the colony there, see if they're as successful breeding and raising themselves on a sand only substrate. ;) But I definitely don't have the space or time to do that. At the moment they're doing well with the tank as it is, so I don't see a need to change it up, and the half sand/half gravel seems to be giving the best of both worlds. :) I do need to find a better way to separate the two substrates though, it does get wearing having to sift the gravel out of the sand all the time, since all the movement from the cories moves it onto the beach.

Pics are looking really good! You have loads of healthy plants still I think the thing with the first pic is all the vallis that gives the impact if you can get that going again it will help cover the sponge cover :)

Wills

Pics are looking really good! You have loads of healthy plants still I think the thing with the first pic is all the vallis that gives the impact if you can get that going again it will help cover the sponge cover :)

Wills

Yep, that half of the tank with the sponge filter is looking terrible! lol. There's still some healthy vallis there, between the filter and the ugly wood piece that will be replaced soon, the vallis is just really short for some reason. Possiblr because when it gets tall, some staghorn or BBA tends to get the upper leaves and trimmed those down. But they hadn't had a root tab in a while either. I do like that the plants of the left side are looking fairly healthy though. :)

I don't like the fluffy algae that grows on the sponges either, but it's impossible to remove it all from the sponge without pulling the sponge apart, and I've tried to learn to accept it, since it's still grazing for the otos. If the vallis will grow tall again though and hide it, it wouldn't bother me as much.

Yep, that half of the tank with the sponge filter is looking terrible! lol. There's still some healthy vallis there, between the filter and the ugly wood piece that will be replaced soon, the vallis is just really short for some reason. Possiblr because when it gets tall, some staghorn or BBA tends to get the upper leaves and trimmed those down. But they hadn't had a root tab in a while either. I do like that the plants of the left side are looking fairly healthy though. :)

I don't like the fluffy algae that grows on the sponges either, but it's impossible to remove it all from the sponge without pulling the sponge apart, and I've tried to learn to accept it, since it's still grazing for the otos. If the vallis will grow tall again though and hide it, it wouldn't bother me as much.
Your valis should do really well as it prefers harder water. I've got a weird algae on some of mine that looks like some kind of green spot or dust but its making the leaves brittle - physically and it just looks brittle too. I might be trimming it wrong but in my small tank I cant get to the root section very well to break off there so I've just been chopping it where I want it to see how it goes.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back