60l (60x30x32) (~15g) Stocking Ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Treestone

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think this is the right subforum but I may be wrong. So picked up a Juwel primo 60 with just the light, may get a small canister or HOB as I don't want to take up any more water volume. As I have hard water, my first thoughts were Danio erythromicron or a school of asian rummynose (they seem to have a reoccurring problem of internal parasites which I only have formalin to treat with which isn't too ideal). Julidochromis transcriptus would be too large for this size tank. Can't really get shell dwellers here but if I find some that would definitely be a winner. Cherry barbs may work but a smaller fish would be ideal. Possibly kuhli loaches I don't know how hard they like it. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Kuhli loaches need a 20 gallon tank and soft water. We need to know your pH, GH and KH.

pH 7.8-8.2 (depending on time of year) and i haven't tested yet but I predict 10-18 dkh (as tannins have no effect on the ph) and correspondly a high hardness of 180 ppm+. I say this as my council test results are 6.2pH, 56 ppm GH and 46 ppm KH.

So reasonably hard then - I think you are on the money with the Rummy Nose Rasbora, similar conditions to their wild location (I think Lake Inle?). Stunning fish, would you be happy with a big school? Or do you want some other species in there?

Wills

pH 7.8-8.2 (depending on time of year) and i haven't tested yet but I predict 10-18 dkh (as tannins have no effect on the ph) and correspondly a high hardness of 180 ppm+. I say this as my council test results are 6.2pH, 56 ppm GH and 46 ppm KH.
Dwarf puffers maybe.

So reasonably hard then - I think you are on the money with the Rummy Nose Rasbora, similar conditions to their wild location (I think Lake Inle?). Stunning fish, would you be happy with a big school? Or do you want some other species in there?

Wills

From Lake Inle the choices would be Rummy nose rasbora, Emerald dwarf rasbora, and glowlight/red line rasbora. I could see cherry barbs or wcmm working. Maybe a hillstream setup using a canister for flow with some hillstream loaches and wcmm. A small group of pea puffers as @PhantomCarp mentioned. Maybe I could find some pea puffers close by but it'll be a find.

From Lake Inle the choices would be Rummy nose rasbora, Emerald dwarf rasbora, and glowlight/red line rasbora. I could see cherry barbs or wcmm working. Maybe a hillstream setup using a canister for flow with some hillstream loaches and wcmm. A small group of pea puffers as @PhantomCarp mentioned. Maybe I could find some pea puffers close by but it'll be a find.
Ooo! I like the idea of hillstream loaches - love the little guys. :wub:

A small group of pea puffer would also be cool. Just make sure you have a lot of snails before... you're going to need them!

Ooo! I like the idea of hillstream loaches - love the little guys. :wub:

A small group of pea puffer would also be cool. Just make sure you have a lot of snails before... you're going to need them!

Yeah, ramshorns or just pond snails would be a must. Frozen bloodworms are cheap as cheap here so that would be my go to

If you like puffers my favourite dwarf is the red tail red eye. They look like little water mellons and are a bit more chill than the common dwarf. I’m thinking of them for my 20g but might just stick to a single species micro Rasbora tank.

If you are considering celestichthys erythromicron it is also worth looking at celestichthys margaritatus or the more active celestichthys choprae. IMO get a large group and keep it single species, possibly with a group of bottom dwellers. The first 2 really do need to be in a large group as they are rather timid and shy otherwise. I have around 30 c.margaritatus in a 15G with shrimp and a few otos.

Also be aware that the first 2 are capable of hybridisation

If you are considering celestichthys erythromicron it is also worth looking at celestichthys margaritatus or the more active celestichthys choprae. IMO get a large group and keep it single species, possibly with a group of bottom dwellers. The first 2 really do need to be in a large group as they are rather timid and shy otherwise. I have around 30 c.margaritatus in a 15G with shrimp and a few otos.

Also be aware that the first 2 are capable of hybridisation

Thanks for your input, they are very shy fish and definitely need large groups. Glowlight danio (celestichthys choprae) are very boisterous fish and very active, I don't think they would do well in a 60cm long tank. CPD wouldn't do as good in my water parameters as celestichthys erythromicron and I haven't seen them here whilst I have seen the latter. Red-eyed puffers would be a good option if I can find them. The biggest worry about getting lake Inle species is the price for the school and how they don't do too well in stores. Sounds like a cool 15g btw.

My experience with CPD wasn’t a great one and they all died, they were just too shy to come out for food and got outcompeted by (at the time) smaller green neon tetra. They almost certainly need a species only tank. Your pH of 7.8-8.2 is a bit too high for GNT, CPD, glowlight danio, rummynose and emerald rasbora. What are your feelings on livebearers? Guppies or endlers might be your best bet over white clouds?

Last edited:
My experience with CPD wasn’t a great one and they all died, they were just too shy to come out for food and got outcompeted by (at the time) smaller green neon tetra. They almost certainly need a species only tank. Your pH of 7.8-8.2 is a bit too high for GNT, CPD, glowlight danio, rummynose and emerald rasbora. What are your feelings on livebearers? Guppies or endlers might be your best bet over white clouds?
I agree CPD, green neon tetra (if that is what you mean by GNT) and rummynose do not fit my water parameters and require large groups yet but I don't believe the latter two are mentioned in this thread. You may be possibly mixed up with asian rummynose (sawbwa resplendens) which I think are suitable for such parameters along with celestichthys erythromicron due to their origins from Lake Inle. Glowlight danio are far too boisterous for a tank that size, even species only it runs the risk of becoming a blood bath. I keep plenty of livebearers now and have kept many more in the past. Unless I find a more interesting, less common species (which will be incredibly unlikely due to the import laws in NZ) it's going to be without livebearers. But yes, white clouds would be a good option yet may grow slightly too large. Sorry about your bad experience with CPD.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back