6 Gallon Sanzon Iwagumi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:) I don't drink coffee so I'm just crazy!

But to actually address what you wrote...you are right and I just claim artistic license for my choices. I will explain a little.

While I know there are nicer tanks, this is the one I had and didn't want to purchase a new one so I went with it.

I hated the filter inside the tank, it was driving me nuts! I was so happy to get rid of it.

The dwarf hair grass was planted in such a way as to resemble terrestrial grass that grows up around a rock. This is a bit of an Arizona flair as this is a common sight in the deserts where few plants grow well. Grass tends to grow around rocks as they provide shade and moisture in the arid climate. I wanted that particular look around the rocks. It is meant to convey the illusion they have been sitting there for quite some time.
Sort of like this...
grass_rock.jpg

There are three stones.

The notion is that the oyaishi is weak, or weeping. It has been resting in the grass and is attempting to arise. The fukuishi is supporting it in the hour of need. The fukuishi is using the drift wood to brace himself against. All this while the soeishi has fallen at its feet unable to cope. I used more plants with the intention of closing in this scene as if the viewer were seeing something private and that it was happening in the shelter of a tree.

The dwarf baby tears are like a soft bed the ailing oyaishi was resting on before he tried to arise.

The three moss balls represent the spirits of the three stones released from the pain and care they are under. I wanted something round to literally represent a separate sphere of existence.

So, rather than use the golden ratio or rule of thirds (or two thirds if you rather) I chose to symbolize a particular scene that might be toward the end of the Oyaishi's life if it were living.

Take your meds...

:)

Just try to see the tank from that perspective. Visualize the scene and imagine people in place of the stones.

So, lots of growth which I've very pleased with. I will actually have to trim a bit already.
Still no fish. I had decided on scarlet badis but when I went to get them they were under quarantine for a mouth fungus. Amazonas magazine had an article on them that really got me more interested in them and pretty much spelled out that a tank like mine is perfect for them (Nov/Dec 2012, p. 70). They should be available for sale on Monday so I will pick them up then.

growth_10132012.jpg

Sounds great, I have a scarlet Badis in my 60, beautiful fish.

It's nice because I already keep on hand the foods they like for some of my marine fish so it won't be a difficult to provide them with proper nutrition. The article stated they will breed in captivity so I'm curious to see if I can pull that off. The most difficult thing will be to provide them with a cool enough tank. What do you keep your 60 at?

Temp? about 24C. Be nice to find a female, we only really get males here.

That's what it says they like. I might have trouble keeping it that cold in the summer. The store here has plenty of females. The article said 2 males with 4 females was a good stocking level for my size tank.

Yeah sounds good, just make sure they have some hiding spots as males are big on territory. :good:

Crazy growth in the tank. Time to trim.
The dwarf hair grass is browning a bit due to the lack of light from the overgrowth. Though it is still growing.
Everything else is growing very well and looking quite healthy. The nana is now firmly rooted to the driftwood.
The fish are doing very well and the cherry shrimp are on their way. I won them on eBay. It's the first time I've gotten livestock from the Internet so it's a bit stressful.
6gallon_planted_10252012.jpg

Good read this journal. Looking good.

Hmmm. Will I say it. A black background may help.

I used to do backgrounds years ago but since all my tanks were right up against walls they didnt' really need it. This one probably would benefit from it. I might take your suggestion, that would look pretty good. Thanks.

Looking like good growth mate, keep an eye on ammonia with the hair grass.

Good advice, thanks.

My light bulb burned out yesterday and it turns out that it's a proprietary bulb that Tetra doesn't make anymore and isn't available. So...I've had to ditch the hood and I purchased a little clip on light. It will take a little getting used to visually. With the hood all the light was contained and with this there is some spill over of light. It just makes the tank a little less a glowing cube, now it's a glowing cube with a glowing thing above it.

On the up side it is a brighter light so my dwarf hair grass will do better.

All livestock is happy right now and the plants are growing much better than I expected. I am not sure if it's the Co2, the Kent, the Tetra, the Substrate or a combo of all of it but it's really for a major trim.

Just curious, when I trim I normally cut back pretty far, how much do you all cut off?

I cut back stems to like an inch at the front and make a slope towards the back so as the new shoots come through you get a much more bushy over all look. With hair grass, very low and HC down to about 1cm height. Remember to re plant your cuttings if you can too. :good:

Most reactions

Back