5g Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kyle E.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good place to get a cheap plain 5 gallon tank?

I have a betta who's not super happy in my 30g with other fish.

The problem is all I can find are the fancy kits that come with a whole bunch of extras that I don't want. I just want the glass box itself. I haven't been able to find a good one.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks!

I'd recommend Ebay or Petco (right now petco is having a dollar a gallon sale... not sure if it applies to the 5g but worth a look)

Go for a 10 or 20 gallon tank rather than a 5 gallon. It won't cost much more but has more options later on if you get rid of the Betta or want to add snails or shrimp.

In an emergency, you can buy a 5 gallon bucket for a few dollars and use that for the Betta.

Ok. That is a good idea. I do not have the resources to get a tank right now and if there is any chance I could get my betta to work in my current tank I want to.

That being said I have a few questions.

I bought him on the 13th at a Petco near me. I was actually there for Java Moss (They didn't have any) but this guy caught my eye. I really wanted him but I knew you weren't supposed to put male bettas in with other fish. I went home and did some research and found a couple things. I read that it would be a lot better because I was putting the betta in after the other fish so he didn't have any territory to defend. Also I read that my tank was probably big enough (30 gallon) for them to get a long. I went against my better judgement and went back and got him. I have him with 5 cherry barbs a dwarf gourami, 4 guppies, 2 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail. There have been no problems with aggression besides the betta chasing them away when they get too close. He has challenged the gourami but the gourami ignores him and the betta gives up.

The problem is, the betta always floats right at the surface up in the front left corner of the tank. That is why the picture is so bad because he didn't want to cooperate with me and move.

I am not sure what is wrong and how to get him to be happier and swim around more. Like I said the other fish generally leave him alone and he hasn't been super aggressive. I have wondered if he felt too exposed with there being nothing to hide in in the top level. (My amazon sword is being stubborn and refusing to grow very well). I have wondered about adding some floating plants but that would cause a host of other problems that I won't get into. I want to get dwarf hairgrass to carpet the bottom of the tank but that is my only other immediate plan for this tank. I do not have a very big budget (I am a teenager who has yet to get a job and I am the only one in my family interested in aquarium keeping) but I really want him to be happy, preferably in this tank.

Sidenote: I got the pots thinking he might use them if he needed to hide but he doesn't use them as he is always at the very top of the waterline. The snail loves them though!

Oh and he eats. Not super voraciously like the other fish but well enough. I feed top fin tropical flakes, what I already had been feeding. I read that bettas needed a higher crude protein content as they are carnivores and I read they need at least 30%. I then looked at my bottle and it is 47% so I figured it would work for him.

Please help!
Kyle.

My tank looks so empty...
My stocking isn't that low though for a 30g so I don't know what to do.

20201116_192142.jpg
20201116_191954.jpg
20201116_192142.jpg
20201116_191954.jpg

I would definitely up your decoration. Betta's love plants and hides. You can get cheap coconut shell husks, or use PVC pipe, buy Java Fern or Anubias and I would heavily recommend a floating plant if it's at all possible (giant duckweed or frogbit). Betta beds are another option. It will help stimulate him and make him feel less exposed. Buy off of ebay or through aquarium clubs for cheaper prices and often higher quality plants. Stick to the easy stuff if you want to avoid root tabs and fertilizers.

I do think you have a lot of potential with your current tank. It just needs more decoration - that decoration would probably cost as much as a new tank anyways

Walmart has a 5 gallon complete setup with filter, hood , and light for $30. A 10 gallon is just a few bucks more. You definitely would need a heater for a betta. Unless you have a filter and light, walmart’s tanks are a good deal. But if you just need the tank, the Petco sale would be the way to go. Otherwise, you could look on craigslist for used tanks.

I think I am going to try getting amazon frogbit. I will have to figure out a few things but I really hope it will help the betta. For example, I read that you should lower you water level a bit to let the light spread out a bit more and hit all of the frogbit. I can do that but then it makes my HOB filter really loud as the water is hitting the tank. Also I need to get/make a floating ring to keep them out of the filter's outflow current. I do think my light is made for plant growing so I hope that the frogbit will still grow and do well. My amazon sword is staying alive but the light may be a big reason it's growth is so slow...

Thanks guys and I will tell you how it goes!

Most reactions

Back