5g Tank With The Works

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

toxik

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It'll be planted with small plants, nothing that'll grow more than 8-10" tall, and clippings/unwated plants from my larger tank.
I plan on making a mini stand and hood when I get the money for it as my larger tank has killed my bank account.

As far as plants and co2 injection I'm gonna build a small acrylic cube maybe like this. Basicaly a scaled down co2 fizz factory.
It would be mounted in the tank to stabilize the temp and make a single unit.

I'll only build this if the plants begin to die from lack of co2.

As for fish, I'm looking for small... Kinda bored of tetras, but maybe a colorful small species will do.
I don't want bettas, shrimp or snails.

Any ideas? It's either this or a nano reef.

Sparkling Gourami, otto cat, 3 pygmy cory cats and a couple cherry shrimp. Yup slightly over stocked but with a planted tank and reg. water changes it will work.

A couple of dwarf puffers would look good in there :thumbs:

male endlers would be good i think.
and 2 or 3 little ottos would love a planted tank.

Are there any pygmy rasboras in your area? They max out at 3/4 inch (2 cm), but are not a 'beginner' fish. They're a bit hard to keep and pretty hard to find too, but they are lovely :) Also try mosquito rasbora and dwarf emerald green eye rasbora (same size).

Haha you beat me to it! But these are a great little fish if you can find them. Also Sawbwa barbs (sawbwa replendens) is anther little gem, but again hard to find. Or what about celebs rainbows, they get to about 3cm and the yellow colouring is really cool.

Hope this helps

Sam

have you another tank with space? you could have say some otos until they grow to large and just transfer them
Oto's don't really grow large. But they are very sensitive and small tanks can fluctuate too much for them. Not an option in my opinion.

Endlers and some amano shrimp will be fine. I have that combo in a 6.6 gallon :)

Or what about celebs rainbows, they get to about 3cm and the yellow colouring is really cool.
To my knowledge they also are far too sensitive for a tank on such a small scale and require ultra stable, perfect conditions.

Ps: I don't get the graphic at all :S Is the water line only half way ? what is that tube and rubber thing ?

I have Dwarf rasboras in a 4g heavily planted tank and they do fine, never had any disease at all. You do have to be a bit clearful when you first add them, as I know of people who have lots 50-75% to ich but once established they should be fine. Your LFS should do the conditioning in any case.

Sam

EDIT - they do better in a small tank and big fish scare them easily, and they spawn in water that about 6inches deep so small tanks are much more like their natural habitat. Amano has some in a 1 lt tank in one of his books! just need to overfilter and do regular, large water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back