55G On A Custom Stand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rexenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've always wanted to get a larger aquarium, but I could never justify the price.  More importantly, I could never find a stand that matched my tastes.  A few weeks ago, I picked up this plain-Jane 55g tank for $55:

photo2.JPG

I really would like to start a community tank with a family of loaches (smaller ones, maybe Yo-Yos), a school of 5-7 small fish (some colorful tetras or rasboras), and then a couple of "showcase" fish (something that looks nice, like rainbow fish or gourami).  I have a few plants in my current tank, and would really like to have this new one full of plants.  Right now, my ideal setup is something like this:

Fluval 306 canister filter (I have another one, and have had good luck with Fluval in the past)
200W Eheim heater
Glass Versa Tops
One or two large round airstones
Finnex Fugeray Planted+ 48" LED Light (anyone had any experience with this light?)

I also want the loaches to have a large play area, so there will likely be some black sand, and in the planted areas I will mix sand and black Eco-Complete substrate.  And of course I'll have some driftwood (with plants attached) and a lava rock cave for the loaches to hide in.  So that leaves pretty much everything, except the stand.........

Also, over the last couple of years I've picked up woodworking as another hobby.  I really enjoy building my own furniture, and I've already built a stand for a 20g tank I had, a desk, some bookcases, and a few other odds and ends.  This, however, will be the first piece of furniture I've built that needs to be able to hold a ton of weight.  I've decided that I want to build a tank stand that can hold up to a 75g tank (in case I want to upgrade
smile.png
, and won't look like an aquarium stand if I ever want to use it as a regular piece of furniture.  So I threw my engineering brain in action, and put together this frame:

photo.JPG

The frame is made mostly of red oak, with a little poplar in areas that will be covered up.  I chose red oak because it is strong as nails, relatively cheap, and it will match some of the other furniture I built for my office.  The two outer 'holes' will be cabinets to house my air pump, canister filter, and other large items.  The center section will be two or three drawers.  The exterior will be made from quartersawn red oak framing walnut inlays.  I've done some quick calculations, and this should be more than strong enough to hold the tank.  This thing is going to be built entirely from hardwood, so it should stand the test of time.  I'm waiting on the wood to be delivered from the lumberyard, but once it gets here I'll make sure to post updates.  Please let me know what you think!

welcomeani.gif

Looks like a great project, like the fact you're doing the stand in red oak, gonna be nice and strong for the full weight of that fully set up tank.

Do look forward to seeing the project as it progresses.

Pics as you go along of course! 
yes.gif

The stand looks good, I bet the wood was expensive.  A simple 2x4 or 2x3 would have done the trick and cheaper.   What is the width of the vertical legs?

This looks very lovely and I can't wait to see more progress! :)

its always interesting when someone throws their engineering brain in action.  i look forward to seeing your project develop!  good luck!

fishwarrior said:
The stand looks good, I bet the wood was expensive.  A simple 2x4 or 2x3 would have done the trick and cheaper.   What is the width of the vertical legs?
The outer supports are 1x2", but this is designed so they don't support the weight.  I've set it up so the center of the structure carries the weight.  In the center, I have two 1x18" supports, and 2 more 1x6" supports in the back.  I also have a pretty decent triangular structure on the top and bottom made from 2x2" poplar.  You are right that a 2x4 would be cheaper, but I really wanted this to feel like a regular cabinet.  I may double up the outer supports just in case, but I don't think its required.  Also, here is a previous aquarium stand I made for a 20g tank (moved up to a 46G bow front, wouldn't fit on this anymore).  The only vertical support is the 4 2x2 poplar legs, which would hold well over double the weight of the tank I put on it.

Attachments

• photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 119
Rexenator said:

The outer supports are 1x2", but this is designed so they don't support the weight.  I've set it up so the center of the structure carries the weight.  In the center, I have two 1x18" supports, and 2 more 1x6" supports in the back.  I also have a pretty decent triangular structure on the top and bottom made from 2x2" poplar.  You are right that a 2x4 would be cheaper, but I really wanted this to feel like a regular cabinet.  I may double up the outer supports just in case, but I don't think its required.  Also, here is a previous aquarium stand I made for a 20g tank (moved up to a 46G bow front, wouldn't fit on this anymore).  The only vertical support is the 4 2x2 poplar legs, which would hold well over double the weight of the tank I put on it.

Nice, that's a great idea, using the center and back supports, that should be plenty strong.

No progress on the stand yet.  Apparently it takes 2 weeks to ship wood from a lumberyard that is 2 hours away... ... ...  But in other news, I found this great piece of driftwood at my LFS.

driftwood.jpeg

I think it will make the perfect cave area for the loaches to hide in when I set up the tank.  I'm going to soak it for a few weeks in my old 20 gallon tank.  I think I may take a stab at attaching some plants to it when the time comes.  This is something I've never done, so I'm off to the planted section for information.  More updates soon.

Ugh D:

Cute little piece of wood, should make a lovely cave. ^_^

So I'm still waiting on the wood to finish the stand.  I actually got tired of waiting and picked some up from a local place just to get started, hopefully I will be able to show some progress tomorrow.  I did, however, paint the back of my tank with black PlastiDip.  Results are on this thread:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/431323-paint-back-of-tank-with-plastidip/

Also, a bunch of plants from bamaplants showed up today for the bow front tank.  Hopefully these take off and grow so I can take some trimmings for the 55G in a few weeks.  Here's a pic of the bow front.  Hopefully more progress soon.

chelletank.jpg

Love the bowfront, and the paint job with plastidip looks great too.

The plants look good in there! Makes me even more comfortable ordering from bamaplants than I was before :)

So my wood showed up earlier this week.  I finished a lot of the stand, the cabinet portion is pretty much done minus doors and drawers.  I'm going to build the top and base today, hopefully I can start staining tomorrow.  I'm going to get the cabinet portion set up first, then build the doors/drawers while the tank is cycling.  I'll have more pics later today.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Have to say, this is looking good, great carpentry skills.

Can't wait to see the finished stand.

Nicely done.

Ch4rlie said:
Have to say, this is looking good, great carpentry skills.

Can't wait to see the finished stand.

Nicely done.

Thanks.  I just finished assembling the top and base.  I need to buy a router bit to trim it out, but these pictures are pretty much what it will look like without doors/drawers.  The second picture is after a quick mineral spirits bath, you can see the grain a little bit better.  I will be staining this tomorrow, so I'll post more pics then.

Pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Got the first coat of stain applied.  I'm waiting on some lacquer to show up (along with the wood for the doors), but hopefully I will have this part finished with the tank sitting on it by the end of next week.

stained.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back