FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

SteakNShrimp

Reaction score
This is what I am planning so far for my 55g tank.

- 24 Tiger Barbs
- 5 Denisonā€™s
- 1 Rainbow Shark
- 3 Zebra loaches
- 1 Ram (maybe 2)
- 2 Pictus Catfish
- maybe a school of an undecided Tetra or Rasbora species

Any suggestions on a decently large (but not too large) centerpiece fish? Preferably very colorful.

Could I try an Angelfish?

No on the angelfish, but more importantly you have problems with the stocking already.

This tank is not sufficient space for Denison Barbs; they need a group of eight and a five or six-foot length tank; a 4-foot tank if a 90g could work, though not as good.

Loaches must have at least five or six in the group; they are highly social fish, and fewer will almost always result in a "bully" but the larger group spreads out the normal hierarchial aggression.

Pictus catfish require a group of at least five for much the same reason, but with this fish one, two or three frequently pine away. They are also very active, which can be disconcerting to upper fish as the Pictus is out and about swimming during darkness when the upper fish are "sleeping" or trying to.

The ram will not work well with most of what is indicated, especially the Tiger Barbs. And the Ram if a blue/common was intended would need more warmth than most of the other fish here can tolerate permanently.

If the Tiger Barbs are intended, other fish need to be carefully selected; no sedate fish, no long fins, so this eliminates angelfish.

Ok, then Iā€™ll take the Denisonā€™s out and Iā€™ll add some more loaches.

After I make these changes what do you suggest for a centerpiece fish?

Also Iā€™ve read that both Tiger Barbs and the Ram Cichlids can work in the 75-78 range.

Ok, then Iā€™ll take the Denisonā€™s out and Iā€™ll add some more loaches.

After I make these changes what do you suggest for a centerpiece fish?

Also Iā€™ve read that both Tiger Barbs and the Ram Cichlids can work in the 75-78 range.

Still guessing as to which "ram" you are referring to, but if it is the common blue ram (in any of its varieties) it willnot be healthy in a temperature below 80F. The Bolivian Ram can work in the 77-78F range, but not the blue.

Tiger Barbs are active swimmers, and like most such fish (there are exceptions, always) it will be better at lower temperatures, around 75-76F.

If you stay with Tiger Barbs you options for centrepiece fish become fewer, as most of these are sedate fish and that is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Gourami and cichlids being sedate are not going to suit this.

Yeah it is a Bolivian Ram.

So is there no Fish that I can add as a centerpiece for my tank?

I have already committed to Tiger Barbs so I wonā€™t be swapping them out.

Yeah it is a Bolivian Ram.

So is there no Fish that I can add as a centerpiece for my tank?

I have already committed to Tiger Barbs so I wonā€™t be swapping them out.

There are other fish, but it is the "centrepiece" that is the problem, depending what you mean by the word. As I said, most of us consider centrepiece to be sedate fish like cichlids (angelfish, discus, etc), the larger gourami, and similar. These are not going to get on well with Tiger Barbs.

On the other hand, other shoaling fish from the barbs might do well. Or some of the larger danios. Active fish are better matches with active fish.

I would not put a Bolivian Ram in with Tiger Barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back