April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've read some mixed things on sorority tanks in 20 gallons... but what about in a heavily planted 55 gallon? I'd really like to try this out but have no idea where to start - how many betta's should I get? Species only, or add some endlers/cardinal tetras as distraction? Is this even worth trying? If sorority tanks are bad ideas, could I still keep a betta in this tank... if so, what do I keep her with? Advice please!!!

If these are going to be female only you should be able to keep as many as you like in a tank that size especially if it is planted. Cardinals would be great. Because of the size of this tank have a look at whiptail catfish or panaques. I think it could be cool. We will see what others think ;)

I agree with @itiwhetu.. a tank that size should hold a lot of female bettas and a lot of tankmates!
For tankmates, I would suggest white cloud mountain minnows for the top of the tank, loads of tetras (ember, cardinal, rummy nose) for the middle, otos and kuhli loaches for the bottom.

One major concern is regulating feeding with sororities, bettas being prone to dropsy, especially nowadays since they're not bred so well anymore.

Ideally I wouldn't do tankmates to try to regulate the food properly, but most sororities don't work out longterm.

One major concern is regulating feeding with sororities, bettas being prone to dropsy, especially nowadays since they're not bred so well anymore.

Ideally I wouldn't do tankmates to try to regulate the food properly, but most sororities don't work out longterm.
That is a major concern. I've read a lot of iffy things about sorority tanks and don't want to put any bettas in danger. If it works, could be one of the coolest tanks I've put together. But it could easily be the worst

You could do betta imbellis (wild caught) other than that I wouldn't do it, betta splendens are hyper aggressive (females can snap) and generally have terrible genes. Lots of very cool fish to keep in a 55.

You could do betta imbellis (wild caught) other than that I wouldn't do it, betta splendens are hyper aggressive (females can snap) and generally have terrible genes. Lots of very cool fish to keep in a 55.
don't do imbellis, they're just going to hide. if you want bettas in a 55, go for betta unimaculata or any other species from that complex

don't do imbellis, they're just going to hide. if you want bettas in a 55, go for betta unimaculata or any other species from that complex
Thanks crispii :)
Not a betta expert myself, unlike crispii.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back