55g(220l) Planted Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is my 55gallon planted aquarium. Haven't stocked yet, but will be moving my fish here in a week or so.
I really love this setup the black background makes the plants stand out and I can't see the HOB filter intake or sponge filter very much.
Plants:
Microsorum Pteropus(Java Fern)
Ceratophyllum Demersum(Hornwort)
Hydrilla Verticillata(Water thyme, Anacharis)
Ludwigia natans sp red
Ceratopteris thalictoreides/cornuta ( Water sprite)
Hygrophila Difformis(Water Wisteria)
Taxiphyllum Barberi (Java Moss)
Limnobium Laevigatium (Amazon Frogbit)
Intended Stock:
20 Cardinal Tetra
14 Rummynose Tetra
9 Black Neon Tetra
3 Pearl Gourami
planted aquarium for journal.JPEG

Last edited:
Ok so, algae came back. I have the snails settling in my 10g but less in my 55g, which makes me kinda sad now. Coz in my 10g they are doing a very good clean up( I have learned to accept them as friends- which is the best way to get rid of them).
Updates:
java moss.JPEG

The java moss looks like it traveled to the driftwood; actually I glued it on to a small piece of driftwood and placed that on the top of the bigger driftwood. I like it that way. After being battered by algae before I changed the rocks, it's recovering.

java moss recovery.JPEG

java moss recovering.JPEG

The Java fern has plantlets. what should I do?
Should I cut the plants leaf off?
java fern plantlet.JPEG

big java fern plantlets.JPEG

java fern plantlets at rhizome.JPEG

java fern plantlet left.JPEG

I thought ludwigia was classified as a 'fast growing plant'. Look at mine!
1633909887795.JPEG

This is my field of water sprite.

field of water sprite.JPEG

Some suggestions;
Hornwort...chop it to a third of its length, just above a leaf node and the halve the bit you cut off. Plant the cuttings next to the mother plant...it'll stop the plant looking thin and leggy.
(You can do this with all of your tall green plants).
Java fern...leave the plantlets were they are...they grow into bigger plants and then you can remove them and stick them elsewhere.
Give the ludwegia time.

Remember to use only the sharpest of scissors when cutting...you've got to avoid crushing the stems at all costs.

Last edited:
Some suggestions;
Hornwort...chop it to a third of its length, just above a leaf node and the halve the bit you cut off. Plant the cuttings next to the mother plant...it'll stop the plant looking thin and leggy.
(You can do this with all of your tall green plants).
Java fern...leave the plantlets were they are...they grow into bigger plants and then you can remove them and stick them elsewhere.
Give the ludwegia time.

Remember to use only the sharpest of scissors when cutting...you've got to avoid crushing the stems at all costs.
I've had the ludwigia for 2 mts 😞
I have trimmed the hydrilla the way you mentioned before. It had grown 2ft long.
I have a special aquarium plant scissors.

This is my 55gallon planted aquarium. Haven't stocked yet, but will be moving my fish here in a week or so.
I really love this setup the black background makes the plants stand out and I can't see the HOB filter intake or snaptube vidmate sponge filter very much.
Plants:
Microsorum Pteropus(Java Fern)
Ceratophyllum Demersum(Hornwort)
Hydrilla Verticillata(Water thyme, Anacharis)
Ludwigia natans sp red
Ceratopteris thalictoreides/cornuta ( Water sprite)
Hygrophila Difformis(Water Wisteria)
Taxiphyllum Barberi (Java Moss)
Limnobium Laevigatium (Amazon Frogbit)
Intended Stock:
20 Cardinal Tetra
14 Rummynose Tetra
9 Black Neon Tetra
3 Pearl Gourami
View attachment 144961
that's a great set , good luck with it

Last edited:
Came with a photo of tetra in 55g.
Hemigrammus Rhodostomus.jpeg

Hemigrammus Rhodostomus(identified by red only around the head without a longer line, and the black on sides of tail)
Sunlight on the fish tank... you can see the frogbit growth
Sunlight on the fish tank and frogbit growth.JPEG

frogbit growth.JPEG

Before trimming and replanting (sorry about the TFF TOTM paper, I was wondering if it would look nicer before or after trimming)
overgrown aquarium.jpeg

after trimming and replanting:
TFF TOTM contest 55g.jpeg

Btw this time the longest hornwort was 4 ft long(longer than the tank) and the longest hydrilla was 3ft long.

Last edited:
Today I removed the frogbit and turned of one of the lights(because I was moving the black neons to the breeding tank).
I thought it looked quite good, so I left the frogbit out of the tank in a storage box(to sell and also if I needed any).
Without frogbit or light:
community tank without frogbit and light.JPEG

Without the frogbit:
community tank without frogbit.JPEG

Storage box with frogbit:
amazon frogbit in 10g storage box.JPEG

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back