55 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Astronomiii

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently set up a 55 live planted aquarium for my school, and now has been cycled for 5 weeks and is fish ready, however right now I am having a little bit of trouble coming with a stocking idea. Remeber that this is a school tank and needs to have a few parameters based on my principals exact words: "Must be low maitenence so minimal effort will be needed to care for it on weekends/breaks." The principal also claimed she wants a community tank because she does not want any sort of fuss, however she made an exception on semi aggressive fish such as angelfish and gouramis etc. With that being said, here is my tank idea below, know that this is not final, and revisions to this idea or any new stocking ideas I am willing to consider.

Plants(added already)
Java Fern Amazon Sword, Moneywort, Water Sprite

Water parameters.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30
PH 7.5
Temperature 76-78

My current stocking idea
1 Angelfish (Black lace, marble, etc)
8 Cardinal Tetra
8 Rummy nose tetra
16 Corydoras/Shrimp

Again, any help is appreciated

TYSM.
Astronomiii

When I ran the school tanks all I did was completely plant them out and put swordtails in them, everyone loved the fact that fish produced live babies and would hang around waiting for them to be born.

Hello!
Wow! Quite a responsibility to set up the school tank, you must be excited!
You need to do a few more things before you start adding fishs.
1. What is your ammonia level?
2. You need to get those nitrates down.
3. Do you have a heater?
4. What kind of filtration do you have?
5. What kind of substrate do you have?
6. Consider having floating plants, they suck up nigrates like crazy.

let us know those things so we can do a good job helping you. BTW i have Rummynose tetras ant trust me they are not low maintenance.

Hello!
Wow! Quite a responsibility to set up the school tank, you must be excited!
You need to do a few more things before you start adding fishs.
1. What is your ammonia level?
2. You need to get those nitrates down.
3. Do you have a heater?
4. What kind of filtration do you have?
5. What kind of substrate do you have?
6. Consider having floating plants, they suck up nigrates like crazy.

let us know those things so we can do a good job helping you. BTW i have Rummynose tetras ant trust me they are not low maintenance.
Hello,

I have 2 75 watt heaters in there along with a hangover Seachem filter with a canister Fluval 307 for extra filtration, right now I just have around 25-30lb of fine sand in there. Along with that ammonia tested 0 after I did Masterkit API testing and strip testing

What are the water parameters of your school’s water supply? GH and PH specifically?

It sounds like you want something attractive and hardy? Something that will be able to nicely inhabit the space, but be kind of “low bioload”?

Skipping the tank parameter stuff and going right to fish:
  • Corydoras trilineatus (false julii corydoras) as they are goofballs, fun to watch and nice to look at.
  • Zebra danios are very hardy, fun to watch and also quite active.
  • Cherry barbs are a very small and hardy barb and quite peaceful in the tank
  • Rosy barbs are hardy and active in all sections of the tank.
  • Platy is the live bearer I'd go with as they are smaller than swordtails and don't require as specific water conditions as mollys
  • Harlequin rasboras are are an active schooling fish and easy to keep

I'd avoid:
  • Angelfish as they get large, eat smaller fish and can get territorial
  • Barbs other than rosy and cherry, especially tigers. Too aggressive, hassle other fish, etc.
I'd try to get species that swim in different areas of the tank for a nice display. It's not the be all end all but I like using https://aqadvisor.com/ to check stock and filter load. Some folks will complain about this or that reason why it's not %100 balls on accurate but I think it's a good tool to use when planning your tank.

Maybe you could come up with a list of potentials and let the class vote. That's a good way to make the kids feel included and build interest in the tank. Good luck and it's very cool of you to put in the work on this one. Peace.

This has me concerned.

How will the fish be cared for in the holidays?
I know I was at school years ago, but I had keys to the building and the Science lab where the tanks were and could come and go as I liked. I was trusted to look after the fish.

I doubt a student would be allowed in school, and certainly not a lab, nowadays without a member of staff present :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back