55 gallon tank restocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ga_Anna

Reaction score
I currently have 2 cory cats, 1 pleco, 2 redeye tetras, 2 powder blue gouramis, 2 moonlight gouramis, 1 polar parrot cichlid, 1 polar blue parrot cichlid, and 2 white angelfish (maybe platinum's not sure). I like schooling fish and the dojo loaches. Should I add more of what I already have or go with something else? How many more should I add?
My tank is not planted, just artificial plants and a few places to hide in and under. I have 2 bubblers and one that can be turned up if needed. I just have a large filter system. My gravel is black, and I do have some brown, white and tan river pebbles mixed in also to break up the black. Thanks for any advice you may have.

You need to increase the numbers or cories and tetras to at least 10 of each as they are shoaling fish.

Dojo loaches are not tropical fish so would not be a good species for a tank with tropical fish, I'm afraid.

The gouramis and angelfish may cause problems in the future. It is recommended to have only one species of gourami in a tank, and gouramis and angelfish do not make goof tank mates.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------
The polar parrot cichlids might be an issue to the angelfish when the parrots breed.

Red eye tetras are fin nippers and will cause problems to angelfish and gouramis.
Virtually all tetras should be kept in groups of 10 or more.

The gouramis might fight with each other. Normally you only have one species of gourami per tank.

Corydoras do best in groups of 6 or more.

Depending on the species of pleco, it might get huge. Common plecosotomus can easily reach 18 inches in length and the Gibbiceps pleco regularly hits 12 inches + in aquariums.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on them. Normally the lady at the pet store will advise me what works good together. I purchased the gouramis, cichlids and angelfish the same day.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on them. Normally the lady at the pet store will advise me what works good together. I purchased the gouramis, cichlids and angelfish the same day.

Your store might be different, but for the majority, the staff have little if any knowledge of fish. It takes a lot of research to learn what a species needs to be healthy and "normal," and if anyone in the store thought these fish can live together in this tank, they should not be giving advice. You will find dozens of threads on TFF about bad advice from stores, and the poor fish are always the losers because these inappropriate combinations severely stress fish, and that means a weakening, health issues and early demise. Just so you know.

Always double check the store's advise

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back