55 Gallon Tank! Help Me Cichlid God's!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks a lot for the compliment!

It's still more or less a work in progress and I'll post some better pics later. I love the look of the rocks and the fish love the landscape.
Thanks!

iairj,
I just finished reading this thread and may i say it has been very interesting. I only have one lfs where i live and the selection is awful. I always wondered if there was a site or something that would actually ship fish, then i saw u mention aquabid...will you do me a quick favour and explain to me how the site works? What happens if they die during shipping? i am so glad i found this thread as i cant find any BN plecos in my area so i wanted to find a site that would ship fish...thank you!

iairj,
I just finished reading this thread and may i say it has been very interesting. I only have one lfs where i live and the selection is awful. I always wondered if there was a site or something that would actually ship fish, then i saw u mention aquabid...will you do me a quick favour and explain to me how the site works? What happens if they die during shipping? i am so glad i found this thread as i cant find any BN plecos in my area so i wanted to find a site that would ship fish...thank you!

Aquabid is essentially ebay for fish people :drool: The website is aquabid.com and the selection is solely on what people are selling.. You can often times get fish for pennies compared to what fish stores would charge. I don't know if you read the post but I bought 6 yellow tail acei and 6 bristlenose pleco's for I believe it was $32 shipped! My fish store wanted $7 each for the acei making that 6 cost me $42 and $9 for each bristlenose (granted they would be about 2 inches and mine are a little smaller, no biggee) which would cost me $54 so it would've been almost $100 for those fish... Now I'm all for supporting my LFS and when buying one or two fish at a time it's definately worth it, but in this situation it seemed silly!

The DOA or dead arrival guarantee depends on the seller but I have yet to encounter a seller that doesn't offer one. You normally have to use overnight shipping though, and unless it's going to take more than 2 days to get to me (Canada or far east coast) I will use priority.. The price difference is about $12-15 which for me is enough to take a slight chance.. I have yet to have a fish die on me yet using priority!

Their are lots and lots of bristlenose sellers on aquabid and I'm sure you can find one in your general region and possibly same state making the shipping time only a day or two at the most. Aquabid has a feedback system in place so you can see how good of a reputation a certain seller has and whether or not you should buy from them, but I have yet to see a bad seller on aquabid and most are very understanding and will do everything in their power to make sure the fish are safe in shipping. They are fish lovers too you know?

Let me know if you have any other questions on it!

looks like good progress, the tank looks awsome. it will look good with the socolofi keep up the good work! :good:

Thank a bunch! I'm going to wait a month or so to let the fish get a little bigger and hopefully someone on aquabid will have some for sale :good:

iairj,

Aquabid is essentially ebay for fish people :drool: The website is aquabid.com and the selection is solely on what people are selling.. You can often times get fish for pennies compared to what fish stores would charge. I don't know if you read the post but I bought 6 yellow tail acei and 6 bristlenose pleco's for I believe it was $32 shipped! My fish store wanted $7 each for the acei making that 6 cost me $42 and $9 for each bristlenose (granted they would be about 2 inches and mine are a little smaller, no biggee) which would cost me $54 so it would've been almost $100 for those fish... Now I'm all for supporting my LFS and when buying one or two fish at a time it's definately worth it, but in this situation it seemed silly!

The DOA or dead arrival guarantee depends on the seller but I have yet to encounter a seller that doesn't offer one. You normally have to use overnight shipping though, and unless it's going to take more than 2 days to get to me (Canada or far east coast) I will use priority.. The price difference is about $12-15 which for me is enough to take a slight chance.. I have yet to have a fish die on me yet using priority!

Their are lots and lots of bristlenose sellers on aquabid and I'm sure you can find one in your general region and possibly same state making the shipping time only a day or two at the most. Aquabid has a feedback system in place so you can see how good of a reputation a certain seller has and whether or not you should buy from them, but I have yet to see a bad seller on aquabid and most are very understanding and will do everything in their power to make sure the fish are safe in shipping. They are fish lovers too you know?

Let me know if you have any other questions on it!

looks like good progress, the tank looks awsome. it will look good with the socolofi keep up the good work! :good:

Thank a bunch! I'm going to wait a month or so to let the fish get a little bigger and hopefully someone on aquabid will have some for sale :good:
"And when aquabid.com was explained to poopsydrew, his eyes sparkeld and his mouth dropped out of pure happiness"
Thank you so much for the info, this site is exactly what i needed! I owe you one, thanks :good:

No problem at all, anything I can do to help another fishkeeper out! this whole thread was created in order to help me with a new style fish I knew nothing about and now I know a decent amount through reading other websites and this forum.

Be sure to let me know how it goes if you buy fish there too!

Hey guys... Adding a few new pics of the new BN I got... They're in my QT tank for a month or so until they grow a bit. I don't want them to be too overwhelmed in their with all the rocks and fish... They look great though!! Also a few more of the Acei and Labs.

This is one of the smaller ones going to town on a cucumber slice.
DSCN1183.jpg

And one of the medium sized ones...
DSCN1184.jpg

And one of the bigger ones... Those are normal sized marbles for a comparison, he was whipping his tail at the time :)
DSCN1188.jpg

And just for good measure a beauty ram I got in QT also. I believe it's a male?
DSCN1197.jpg

And here's a pretty decent pic of the fish!
DSCN1194.jpg

And another...
DSCN1198.jpg

And here's a cute one of a lab hiding in his cave.
DSCN1210.jpg

Any comments (good or bad) are always apreciated... I know I've been posting a lot in this thread.

Your bn's are so cute! :wub: And the mbuna seem to be settling in well. :good: Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back