55 Gallon Stocking Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My RAM is at the bottom almost exclusively in his cave or sifting through the sand. Id consider bolivian Ram a bottom level fish.
Also agree wouldnt keep hatchets with Angels, Hatchets dont move alot they kind of park their shoal at the top and wait for food and Angels will just push them out of the way.

Keyhole Cichlids are nice but may eat your smaller fish like the Pencil fish or Neon Tetras.
If you keep Keyhole, you have keep the bigger species of Tetras like Bleeding Heart Tetras, Rosy Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Congo Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, etc.

Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams are all bottom level fish as mentioned by others.

Angel fish are aggressive as mentioned by others too.

I have been watching their stock list for a while now and have not seen any apistogrammas. They have rams and jewel cichlids along with the curviceps like I said. They do have some Kribensis, but I am not sure if that will work. I know that they are African river cichlids that actually do better with SA cichlids than African Cichlids. But, once again, just throwing out ideas. I’ve heard that the Kribs have the same temperament as angels, would they be compatible.

Or if I do aquascape and make it a heavily planted tank, Could I have only a couple of angels? Like as a species only tank? Would they uproot carpet plants if they were along the entire foreground?

Or if I do aquascape and make it a heavily planted tank, Could I have only a couple of angels? Like as a species only tank? Would they uproot carpet plants if they were along the entire foreground?

On the couple of angelfish, no. This fish needs a group, the only exception being a bonded mated pair that spawn. We had this discussion yesterday, have a look at posts 12, 17 and 18 in this thread:

I know that they are African river cichlids that actually do better with SA cichlids than African Cichlids
Kribs and American cichlids should not be kept together. Because they have evolved on different continents they don't understand each others' signals, both physical and chemical and this can lead to aggression.

You could start out with 8 and wait for a pair to bond and rehome the rest. 2 is pretty much max when full grown, especially when a pair forms

Ok, how many Angelfish can I have in a 55 gallon if they were the only fish in there?

As I think I explained in the thread I previously linked, it is not so much how many initially, but what about the future.

So if I buy a bonded pair, that’s all I could keep? That’s fine with me, but when they breed, do they eat their babies? I really don’t have anything for raising the young in.

So if I buy a bonded pair, that’s all I could keep? That’s fine with me, but when they breed, do they eat their babies? I really don’t have anything for raising the young in.

Cichlids are good parents, at least after the first few spawnings when they often do eat the eggs before they hatch. But once settled, they will look after them very well. Nocturnal fish like most catfish in the tank will often get the young (if not the eggs earlier) when the cichlids are "sleeping|" and not able to adequateely defend them. But aside from those things, the fry tend to survive. Then food has to be provided. Then tanks to separate them and grow them out.

Like any specific breed(s) of catfish or any fish?

All tropical fish will eat the eggs of any fish if they find them, and in an aquarium they usually do. Cichlids are one exception, they provide quite good care of the egg clutch (their own) and fry after hatching. There are some loricariids (pleco, twig catfish) that also practice care of the eggs though rarely the fry once they hatch. There are probably some others, but these come to mind readily.

Ok, thank you all so much! I have decided on my aquarium now and have greatly appreciated all the help. I didn’t want to sound cruel when I asked if there’s anything that eats the fry and I am glad none of you took it that way. Once again, thank you all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back