55 Gallon Stocking Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dmbandstef

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 55 gallon aquarium that is set up, but I want to change the stock around. Right now I have an oscar, 3 black skirt tetras, a rainbow shark and a raphael catfish. What I wanted to do was trade the oscar in, get a few more black skirts, and add a smaller cichlid such as a kribensis or firemouth. I want the tank to look something like this.

6 or 7 black skirt tetras
1 rainbow shark
1 raphael catfish
1 kribensis or firemouth

I do not have my heart set on anything so any suggestions would be appreciated. I already have the shark and tetras and would like to keep them. I also do not plan on upgrading tank size so they must all fit in the 55 gallon for life. Any and all info welcome! Thank you!

sounds alright, a bit understocked. Rainbow sharks don't usually get along too well with catfish, though. You could maybe try a school of tiger barbs.

if you have a striped rapheal catfish it will get around 8 inches, live up to around 9. they are nocturnal and are known to sneak up on fish at night and get them. also like to dig up substrate.. so if you say have a live planted tank with dirt it'll tear everything up.
the rainbow shark will get around 6 inches. very active and shouldn't be kept with any of its kind because as it grows will attack them and set up territory around the tank and are know to attack other fish in the tank. besides that i don't have much knowledge on them, but watch your other fish.. oh they are also bottom dwellers so if you get any cichlid or something that likes to have the bottom reign of the tank you'll have issues. ex. firemouth and krib might be an issue.
an oscar can grow up to 17 inches (if giving the proper environment), so in the long run your tank is too small. they will attack other fish and go after your tetras when they are able to fit into the mouth.

IMO what i would do
go rehome the oscar

i would raise the tetra school to 6 and also have a school of 6 of either diamond tetras or bleeding heart tetras.. giving the contrast of black with white/sliver.

if you are keen on having the shark and catfish; because of the area of the tank they will take up.. bottom region you might, and probably will have aggression between the two and the tetras might be at risk of being eaten.

if you decide against having them then i would put a school of cories on the bottom, around 6.
then you can have a krib or firemouth as a show fish in the tank.

i think you would get more enjoyment in taking away the catfish and shark, but again it is your call.

I dont think there will be any issues between the spotted raphael and shark just because the catfish almost never comes out. I have to check to check on him at every WC to make sure he is alive lol. I do not want to breed the fish so, do the kribs breed easily? If they do I'm only interested in one. Im already going to rehome the oscar. Gonna use him as a trade in for store credit.
Maybe i will bring the shark also, just to give me even more choices.

From what I understand, Kribensis are very devout parents almost to a fault. I have never had them myself but have been told that as soon as they start breeding, they will become very aggressive towards your other fish and will get extremely territorial. If you are set on getting them, i'd say only get one or have another tank that you would be able to move your fish to in the event that your kribs decided to go crazy on them.

Yes that would be my plan. Like i said originally, i do not have my heart set on anything, but i do not want to breed any fish. So it would have to be either 1, or 2 females. Any ideas you guys have for me would be great. I dont want anything in particular, just as long as its a cichlid and stays relatively small and could live with the tetras, and if it can get along with the shark then that would be even better.
So you guys think i should do away with the shark and catfish all together? What my plan was, is to have a lot going on. A larger fish as the show ( krib, ram, firemouth, etc) then a couple different schools (black skirts, idk what else). I wanted to keep the shark because i just got it not even a week ago! Id feel bad getting rid of him already. I wouldnt feel bad about trading in the catfish though. I never see him anyway.
And just to reiterate, i do NOT want to breed any fish.

What about:
1 angelfish
6-8 black skirts
1 rainbow shark
1 spotted raphael
Maybe another group of school fish?
All im trying to say is i love cichlids and i want one in the tank, i just down want it to get so big that it must be the only fish, because that is just boring.

Again, the catfish may eat the tetras, and the rainbow shark may nip at the angelfish. But if you insist on keeping the two, get a larger school of danios or buenos aires tetras, although the latter can get nippy. I would trade in the shark and catfish for a large school of Cories IMO but do what you think is best, it's your tank

The only fish i insist on are the black skirts and shark. Idk what tankmates are best for those fish, so thats why im asking for help. Its a 55 gallon with 2 caves and 2 bunches of plants. The guy at the pet store said a kribensis or firemouth could work since i have 2 caves. Do you agree?
The spotted raphael is only like 2.5 or 3 inches long. Ive had him for like a year and he has barely grown. I dont think he will be able to eat the tetras anytime soon.

The shark should be kept in at least a 6' long tank.

They become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species. Other bottom-dwelling fishes including cichlids and most catfish are best avoided as they may too be picked on.

The angelfish is definitly not going to get along with these tankmates. The catfish should end up around 5-6" like the shark, so I'm half suspecting if the poor little guy is stunted.

Maybe i will just trade in the catfish too. All i really. Want to know is what can go in my 55 gallon with a rainbow shark and a school of tetras.

20-25% weekly. I have an aquaclear 70 with a sponge, 2 marineland cut to size filter pads, purigen and ceramic rings. PH is about 6.5, water temp ranges from 70-75 degrees F.

I think i should mention that the real reason i wanted a cichlid is because of their amazing personalities. I would be interested in hearing about compatible fish that are non cichlids with good personalities.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back