55 Gallon Setup

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Justin1989

Reaction score
Currently i would like to have a Picasso trigger in my tank; however from the sounds of it my tank would end up being to small for a trigger. Is the recommended tank size because of how much room they like to move around in? Or is it because they are territorial and aggressive? They really caught my eye; along with the lion fish. If the trigger is out of the question; I will most likely end up just going with smaller; non-aggressive fish such as clowns, goby's and so forth.

However ultimately could I get a Picasso trigger; or is the tank just to small? This is a FOWLR tank; would be around 60lb's of LR; two Koralia 4 Centrifugal Pump's; araganite (not sure how many inches I need?) ; and that should mostly be it.

They grow to approx. 9 to 10 inches, too big for your tank, needs at least 75 gallons. Will eat all your cuc :crazy: and is aggresive :angry: will happily eat smaller fish in your tank

Seffie x

:fish:

55 gallon I'm assuming lol. Well in terms of gallons anyhow. But dimensions do matter a good bit as well.

Currently i would like to have a Picasso trigger in my tank; however from the sounds of it my tank would end up being to small for a trigger. Is the recommended tank size because of how much room they like to move around in? Or is it because they are territorial and aggressive? They really caught my eye; along with the lion fish. If the trigger is out of the question; I will most likely end up just going with smaller; non-aggressive fish such as clowns, goby's and so forth.

However ultimately could I get a Picasso trigger; or is the tank just to small? This is a FOWLR tank; would be around 60lb's of LR; two Koralia 4 Centrifugal Pump's; araganite (not sure how many inches I need?) ; and that should mostly be it.

If I had a trigger it wouldn't of included any smaller fish or CUC. But however now that I know that the trigger is out of the question; I will look for smaller fish. I like the idea of clownfish and also watchmen goby's. Any recommendations on the CUC? I honestly have no idea where to begin with those.

Picasso triggers belong to the Rhinecanthus genus, all of which are similar regarding temperament. They are considered one of the less aggressive trigger genera. They can be kept in reef tanks if the stock is chosen carefully; mostly avoiding small or delicate fish and limiting cleanup crews to the larger animals such as turbo or trochus snails.

All in the genus are large and fast moving fish that need a big tank. I would leave them out of a 55-gallon if it is intended as the permanent home, though a juvenile could be kept.

Picasso triggers belong to the Rhinecanthus genus, all of which are similar regarding temperament. They are considered one of the less aggressive trigger genera. They can be kept in reef tanks if the stock is chosen carefully; mostly avoiding small or delicate fish and limiting cleanup crews to the larger animals such as turbo or trochus snails.

All in the genus are large and fast moving fish that need a big tank. I would leave them out of a 55-gallon if it is intended as the permanent home, though a juvenile could be kept.

If a juvenile is bought, roughly how long would it take to outgrow a 55g (UK) tank?? This has interested me as my nano will move into my 55g in a few years time and the other half has a particular fondness for these fish after diving with them in the red sea.

Depends how small you can get it ;). I've seen some juvie triggers sold at my LFS that were barely 2" long. At that size it could be ~3 years before they'd outgrow a 55g.

Thats the same size I have seen them too. Was interested as this is one of other halfs favourites, I did tell him he could prob have one for a while but was not sure how long. Will let him know :thanks:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back