55 Gallon Fowlr

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i would say move that goniapora sooner rather that later. They need extreamly mature tanks to survive. My mate keeps his alive by squirting a mixture of phyto and stuff on it daily. Its extended out at least three times as much as yours too.

If you are keeping Anemones you must have all powerheads covered to prevent them getting minced. I fear it's too late now from what you have said, but their death in this way is easily preventable :nod:

wow, love the goby!

love that nice big piece of LR on the left!

amazing! :good:

Mmmmmmm, well, your teacher should have not given you the Nem for a tank so new :blink: take the Goni back asap - you will not be able to keep it alive :sad:

It is very sad when you loose an animal, first the goby and then the nem - so please do your research first before buying or being given things, lfs are not always the best people to help you, give us a try first. If you fall madly in love with something put a small deposit on it and go away and read and ask :good:

Now for the Maroon Clown, what a gorgeous fish, something I covet myself in the golden form :good: I can't remember how big your tank is though, so forgive me:

will grow to 17 cm
very aggressive as they get older
should be the last fish you add
Oh and they jump 9as does the firefish) - so hope you have covered you tank now

sorry to be the voice of gloom :unsure: just want you to get the best out of your tank and for the inhabitants to be happy

To end on what might be some good news - Nems can survive a trip in to a powerhead, they have amazing regeneration powers - so unless he is totally mashed or minced leave him in the tank, he just might survive - you could make him a cave in a plastic container, some people use a net or veg. strainer to keep him in place so he can't move or float away, and you just never know he might survive, take out the mangled, dead pieces as they will quickly foul the tank

Seffie x

:fish:

I would have to agree take the goniporia back, I made the same mistake as you and bought one for my tank, when it was a new set up, it lasted about 6 months :crazy: but if you do decide to try and keep it, my advise would be, its like a good flow, fed it phytoplankyon regularly and it doesn't like being in a tank with a protein skimmer as the skimmer takes out all the stuff the goniporia likes :unsure:

Sorry about nem too, mine was minced in the powerhead and its not a pretty sight, as long as we learn from our mistakes they are not made in vain :good:

I'll echo that about goniopora. Really hard to keep in a modern reef tank unless you really know what you're doing. They're really not much for being photosynthetic and almost require daily feedings of phyto/marine snow/etc. THey actually tend to do better in "dirty" tanks.

The teacher was not my teacher, sorry for any confusion. It was a teacher in the area and we were talking about saltwater at the time. The anemone let go again, and from what I have been reading at reefcentral the type I had seemed to let go more often, especially if they seemed stressed. He hid under rocks a lot, so it seemed as if the light was more powerful than a previous light he was under. the final time he left go his foot or the bottom part of the nem got sucked into the power head and I'm not sure how long he was there. I turned it off and eased him down which was not easy at all. but no movement at all so I assumed he had died. I should of known better.

I have done research on what I buy, and I knew anemones were not ready for my tank. At least from what people said, however the only reason people state 6-8 months is for stability in the tank. My temps do not swing, perimeters are all stable. ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates range from 5-10.

SO I do not believe anything in my tank other then the lights or possibility of the anemone being stressed out being the issue at this point.

The maroon clown I also know can get aggressive, along with coral beauties. There are many fish which I know can get aggressive however have the possibly of being aggressive and not guaranteed.

egg crate was added to for the cover. However this isnt the best.

I have done research on what I buy, and I knew anemones were not ready for my tank. At least from what people said, however the only reason people state 6-8 months is for stability in the tank. My temps do not swing, perimeters are all stable. ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates range from 5-10.

SO I do not believe anything in my tank other then the lights or possibility of the anemone being stressed out being the issue at this point.

Oh, dear, you've fallen for the key trick :sad:

Just because you levels are stable, does not mean the tank itself is stable :sad: I could waffle on explaining all the various background stuff going on in a new tank that cause a tank to be un-stable, but a leading author has done that for me, so you'll be saved to torture :lol:

Taken from this link origionally posted in the realm of knowlage by kj23502...

From the moment you start, you are in the negative. Corallines will be dying, sponges, dead worms and crustaceans and echinoids and bivalves, many of which are in the rock and you won't ever see. Not to mention the algae, cyanobacteria, and bacteria, most of which is dehydrated, dead or dying, and will decompose. This is where the existing bacteria get kick started. Bacteria grow really fast, and so they are able to grow to levels that are capable of uptaking nitrogen within...well, the cycling time of a few weeks to a month or so.

...................................later on....................................

However, if you realize the doubling time of these bugs, you would know that in a month, you should have a tank packed full of bacteria and no room for water. That means something is killing or eating bacteria. Also realize that if you have a tank with constant decomposition happening at a rate high enough to spike ammonia off the scale, you have a lot of bacteria food...way more than you will when things stop dying off and decomposing. So, bacterial growth may have caught up with the level of nitrogen being produced, but things are still dying...you just test zero for ammonia because there are enough bacteria present to keep up with the nitrogen being released by the dying stuff. It does not necessarily mean things are finished decomposing or that ammonia is not being produced.

Now, if things are decomposing, they are releasing more than ammonia. Guess what dead sponges release? All their toxic metabolites. Guess what else? All their natural antibiotic compounds which prevents some microbes from doing very well. Same with the algae, the inverts, the cyano, the dinoflagellates, etc. They all produce things that can be toxic – and sometimes toxic to things we want, and sometimes to things we don’t want. So, let's just figure this death and decomposition is going take a while.

OK, so now we have a tank packed with some kinds of bacteria, probably not much of others. Eventually the death stops. Now, what happens to all that biomass of bacteria without a food source? They die. Some continue on at an equilibrium level with the amount of nutrients available. And, denitrification is a slow process. Guess what else? Bacteria also have antibiotics, toxins, etc. all released when they die. But, the die-off is slow, relative to the loss of nutrients, and there is already a huge population, and yet you never test ammonia. "The water tests fine.” But, all these swings are happening. Swings of death, followed by growth until limited, then death again, then nutrients available for growth, and then limitation and death. But, every time, they get less and less, but they keep happening – even in mature tanks. Eventually, they slow and stabilize.

What's left? A tank with limited denitrification (because its slow and aerobic things happen fast) and a whole lot of other stuff in the water. Who comes to the rescue and thrives during these cycles? The next fastest growing groups...cyanobacteria, single celled algae, protists, ciliates, etc. Then they do their little cycle thing. And then the turf algae take advantage of the nutrients (the hair algae stage). Turfs get mowed down by all the little amphipods that are suddenly springing up because they have a food source. Maybe you've bought some snails by now, too, or a fish. And the fish dies, of course, because it may not have ammonia to contend with, but is has water filled with things we can't and don't test for...plus, beginning aquarists usually skimp on lights and pumps initially, and haven't figured out that alkalinity test, so pH and O2 are probably swinging wildly at this point.

So, the algae successions kick in, and eventually you have a good algal biomass that handles nitrogen, produces oxygen through photosynthesis, takes up the metabolic CO2 of all the other heterotrophs you can’t see, the bacteria have long settled in and also deal with nutrients, and the aquarium keeper has probably stopped adding fish for a spell because they keep dying. Maybe they started to visit boards and read books and get the knack of the tank a bit. They have probably also added a bunch of fix-it-quick chemicals that didn’t help any, either. Also, they are probably scared to add corals that would actually help with the photosynthesis and nutrient uptake, or they have packed in corals that aren't tolerant of those conditions.

The rest of that article is well worth a read. In it, OTS is explained as well as how to avoid it, and the article also covers keeping a good population of "stuff" on the LR going...

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back