FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Actually you can keep 6-8 Discus in your tank but I don't recommend Discus for beginner because it requires too much work and knowledge(Discus behaviour, disease, etc) and they are very timid fish.

You also can't mix crayfish(lobsters) with fish except for some top level fish that won't go down to the bottom of the tank nor sleep at night.
You can mix shrimps with fish but only small fish else the shrimps will become food for the fish.

Frogs are best to be kept alone and not with fish.

Crabs can't stay submerged in water all the time except for the Thai micro crab.
You will have to create water and dry land in your tank which is harder to maintain than normal tank.

Go for fish that are easy to keep.
You can keep a few beautiful fish especially the dwarf South American Cichlids and mix with 2-3 groups of schooling fish from Tetras, Rasboras, Danios, Corydoras, Loaches species.

Last edited:
Schoudenti puffers with Congo tetras and polleni synodontis cats :)

In my 20g I have a bamboo shrimp as my oddball they get around 3", look at vampire shrimp for your tank, filter feeders so very cool to watch and get pretty big, could do a couple of them if your tank suits.
Those are neat! Seem to be widely available! I'll look into it, thanks.

Actually you can keep 6-8 Discus in your tank but I don't recommend Discus for beginner because it requires too much work and knowledge(Discus behaviour, disease, etc) and they are very timid fish.

You also can't mix crayfish(lobsters) with fish except for some top level fish that won't go down to the bottom of the tank nor sleep at night.
You can mix shrimps with fish but only small fish else the shrimps will become food for the fish.

Frogs are best to be kept alone and not with fish.

Crabs can't stay submerged in water all the time except for the Thai micro crab.
You will have to create water and dry land in your tank which is harder to maintain than normal tank.

Go for fish that are easy to keep.
You can keep a few beautiful fish especially the dwarf South American Cichlids and mix with 2-3 groups of schooling fish from Tetras, Rasboras, Danios, Corydoras, Loaches species.

I think I'll go with an East-Asian theme. I like glass catfish, harlequin rasboras, maybe a chinese algae eater, et cetera. I'm looking into peacock eels as my oddball fish (if it becomes an issue I have a separate tank the eel could happily live in). Thanks for the info!

Schoudenti puffers with Congo tetras and polleni synodontis cats :)
I love the idea of pufferfish but they always seem to have some weird need so I gave up... I'll have to look at Schoudenti's. Thanks I'm about to do some googling on them.

I think I'll go with an East-Asian theme. I like glass catfish, harlequin rasboras, maybe a chinese algae eater, et cetera. I'm looking into peacock eels as my oddball fish (if it becomes an issue I have a separate tank the eel could happily live in). Thanks for the info!

I think the Chinese Algae eater will tend to suck the slime from big fish when they grow bigger (if you have big fish). They will become more aggressive as they age.
But they are very good in cleaning the tank from algae.

Harlequin Rasboras are one of the best schooling fish. They are very tight schooling fish that will swim together.
If you want something smaller, you can try Espei Rasboras(very similar to Harlequin). They are beautiful.

You can check here for the fish species especially the schooling fish.

Have a look at your local fish shop ( the nearest one to you ) talk to them about what fish they can get and have a look at the fish they have in stock. That should be what you base your tank on.

Hey, Ellie. Don't do chinese algae eaters. They get really mean and predatory when they get older. Look into a school of zebra loaches or (my favorite) dwarf chain loaches instead. Or, if you want an algae eater, get a few panda garra (another favorite).

I never had the nerve to try tire track eels in my east asia tank--I think they are predatory?--but I always wanted to get one because they look so cool. Other than that I like your choices! Glass cats and harleys are very beautiful and comfortable in big schools, so get at least 8-10 of each.

Hey, Ellie. Don't do chinese algae eaters. They get really mean and predatory when they get older. Look into a school of zebra loaches or (my favorite) dwarf chain loaches instead. Or, if you want an algae eater, get a few panda garra (another favorite).

I never had the nerve to try tire track eels in my east asia tank--I think they are predatory?--but I always wanted to get one because they look so cool. Other than that I like your choices! Glass cats and harleys are very beautiful and comfortable in big schools, so get at least 8-10 of each.
I think I meant Siamese Algae eaters, oops! I have a friend that keeps them and have found them to be peaceful, but I'll have to see.

Peacock eels are the most peaceful (and some of the smallest) eels available. They prey on small and slow fish that bother them so I'm not too concerned. I'm keeping a 20 long on standby just in case. Thanks!

I think the Chinese Algae eater will tend to suck the slime from big fish when they grow bigger (if you have big fish). They will become more aggressive as they age.
But they are very good in cleaning the tank from algae.

Harlequin Rasboras are one of the best schooling fish. They are very tight schooling fish that will swim together.
If you want something smaller, you can try Espei Rasboras(very similar to Harlequin). They are beautiful.

You can check here for the fish species especially the schooling fish.

Sorry! I meant siamese algae eater, oops! I think they're more peaceful, but if I go that route I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Have a look at your local fish shop ( the nearest one to you ) talk to them about what fish they can get and have a look at the fish they have in stock. That should be what you base your tank on.
I wish I could, but I don't have a local fish shop! The nearest one is 2 hours away and I haven't been able to get them on the phone or get a response to my emails. Looks like I'll be ordering my fish so there aren't many that I won't be able to get.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back