55 Gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I am supposed to be getting a 55g for Christmas, and am trying to get my stocking planned.
I have read on many sites that a 55g tank is sufficient for 1 oscar (and on one site even 1 plec, too). On some site I've read that 75g is the minimum. Which is right??
If an oscar would get too large, too quickly, is there another fish that has a real personality as oscars seem to do?
I have always liked the look of jack dempseys, but I don't know that they really are personable.
I've also thought about a puffer of some sort.
What do you think?

It depends on the dimensions of the tank. If it's the most common 55 gallon, made by All Glass/Tetra (I believe also has a kit.) The width will be 12 inches, which isn't going to be enough space for the fish to turn around in once it reaches full size. You may want to look into getting a tank a little bit bigger if this is the one you are going for...

The dimensions of my 55 are 48x20x13". So unless you have a huge Oscar, it should be okay. Just my $.02

The dimensions of my 55 are 48x20x13". So unless you have a huge Oscar, it should be okay. Just my $.02

Sorry, 13 is what I meant.

Oscar can get to be around 2 feet in length when they are at their adult size. This is pretty much double the width of the tank which means they would have a very very hard time turning around...

Unfortunately a larger tank is not possible.
Is there another large-ish cichlid that has a personality like an oscar, that would fit well in a 55?
If not, what about a puffer (or puffers) of some sort? Even ones that would do ok in like a 20g or so. I was looking at the GSP's, too, and it seems like the general consensus is that 1 of those would be fine in a 20g, but I'm not sure if that was with any tankmates, or, if so, what those tankmates would be.
I really don't want a normal community set-up, but I'm up for most suggestions, if anyone feels like giving some.
Thanks!

You may want to try Firemouths, or something like Severum, Festivum or Green Terror. I have heard Jack Dempsey make good pet fish.

You could probably fit 2 green spotted puffers, but keep in mind they are brackish fish and may eventually need teeth trimming.

The GPS would be going into the 55?

puffers are awesome fish but if you want to do the greenspotted puffer you would need to set up a brackish tank. i think your looking at it as a tank the fish can "fit" in. a betta can "fit" in a quarter gallon bowl. you know that is not a comfortable life tho. the gsp would probably get bored living in a small 20 gallon tank. the full grown oscar would probably hate not having much room in a 55 gal. if you have till christmas to get the tank and you really want a big fish with personality why not look for used tanks? you can get a bigger one for the same price as a new 55 and could give the oscar a comfortable life.

The reason I can't get a much larger is because that is the space I have open and the stand that I already have. (I've moved so much furniture and stuff around making room for my tanks there is just no more left! LOL) I have a 29 gal and 5.5 gal sitting on that stand for now, but love to take advantage of the stand, which should hold a 55g if I measured correctly. It's about 48" x 12". If there is a slightly larger tank that could still sit on that stand safely then I would happily look for one of those, but I don't think there is.
I was really wanting an oscar as that's one that's always been on my wish list, but I won't get him if a 55 isn't large enough. I know I could always make a deal with the lfs to trade it for a smaller one when it got too big, but I know myself enough to know that if it has any personality at all I'll want to keep it and then I'll have a big problem!
So, I kind of am looking for a fish with personality that will fit comfortably in the 55. Whether that be a fw, bw or even sw.
Just to let you know, I have a marine tank (FOWLR), a community tank, a shellie tank and a turtle tank. I'd love to go with some sort of larger cichlid or puffer, I'm just not sure what kind exactly.
I appreciate all the help so far!

im sorry i dont know what "FOWLR" means, lol i also dont know what shellies are. If you got the oscar as a baby he could probably live comfortably there for a couple years. that would probably give you enough time to maybe eventually upgrade tanks. Im sure you could do the oscar tank. puffers are awesome fish tho. I always wanted to do a fahkha puffer tank but you need at least a 120 for those guys. I say go for the oscar. youll hvae plenty of time before he gets to big for the tank, and if you really get attached to him, by that time im sure you can upgrade

Sorry, 13 is what I meant.

Oscar can get to be around 2 feet in length when they are at their adult size. This is pretty much double the width of the tank which means they would have a very very hard time turning around...
Oscars max out at about 16' usually, maybe under, I doubt any in the aquarium have reached 2 ft

puffers are awesome fish but if you want to do the greenspotted puffer you would need to set up a brackish tank. i think your looking at it as a tank the fish can "fit" in. a betta can "fit" in a quarter gallon bowl. you know that is not a comfortable life tho. the gsp would probably get bored living in a small 20 gallon tank. the full grown oscar would probably hate not having much room in a 55 gal. if you have till christmas to get the tank and you really want a big fish with personality why not look for used tanks? you can get a bigger one for the same price as a new 55 and could give the oscar a comfortable life.
75gal for one oscar would be pefect imo :good: But would probably seem bare, you could get away with adding a few other fish.

The reason I can't get a much larger is because that is the space I have open and the stand that I already have. (I've moved so much furniture and stuff around making room for my tanks there is just no more left! LOL) I have a 29 gal and 5.5 gal sitting on that stand for now, but love to take advantage of the stand, which should hold a 55g if I measured correctly. It's about 48" x 12". If there is a slightly larger tank that could still sit on that stand safely then I would happily look for one of those, but I don't think there is.
I was really wanting an oscar as that's one that's always been on my wish list, but I won't get him if a 55 isn't large enough. I know I could always make a deal with the lfs to trade it for a smaller one when it got too big, but I know myself enough to know that if it has any personality at all I'll want to keep it and then I'll have a big problem!
So, I kind of am looking for a fish with personality that will fit comfortably in the 55. Whether that be a fw, bw or even sw.
Just to let you know, I have a marine tank (FOWLR), a community tank, a shellie tank and a turtle tank. I'd love to go with some sort of larger cichlid or puffer, I'm just not sure what kind exactly.
I appreciate all the help so far!

If it's a frame kind of stand ,(e.g metal, with no doors/storage) and you have space, buy a peice of plywood to fit a 75gal and place it on the top, I've done this before with a tank of an overlap of two, but you would be looking at an overlap of 4' on each side as 75gals are usually(atleast I think they are for 4footers) 4ft x 21' x 18.I'm not really sure it would work though, jsut a thought, plus you would have to be sure that the stand coudl hold the extra weight.

im sorry i dont know what "FOWLR" means, lol i also dont know what shellies are. If you got the oscar as a baby he could probably live comfortably there for a couple years. that would probably give you enough time to maybe eventually upgrade tanks. Im sure you could do the oscar tank. puffers are awesome fish tho. I always wanted to do a fahkha puffer tank but you need at least a 120 for those guys. I say go for the oscar. youll hvae plenty of time before he gets to big for the tank, and if you really get attached to him, by that time im sure you can upgrade
Fish only with live rock.Shellies-shellfish?
I somewhat agree, although I wouldn't say you could have years to spare.In a year oscars have been know to reach 9-10', some say even a 12' but with mine his growth has seem to slowed a bit since reaching 9', the guy had 4 oscars in an 80gal with 5 plecos and other fish so god knows what that must of done to them though.
I'd reccomend, for a 55 gal, a female texas cichlid though.I prefer them to oscars, imo they have nicer colouration and just as big personality, or aggression :lol: (mine used to be a nutter and kill everything it was put in with)

I have found a used 75g for pretty cheap, so if I end up getting it I plan on stocking it with an oscar. (Merry Christmas to me!) Now I'll need help with tankmates. :D
I obviously really don't know much about oscars, but the other fish I really have an interest in is a jack dempsey, a firemouth, and clown loaches. Would any of these go well with the oscar? I think plecs are pretty awesome, too, but I'd rather have the loaches if it's between the two of them.
I would want the tank to really be an oscar tank, but with some company for him, if that makes sense.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back