55 gal mbuna stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

becs66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I was after some advice on stocking my 55 gal tank. Currently I have 4 labidochromis caeruleus, 4 pseudotropheus socolofi and 4 pseudotropheus acei (all 1m 3f). I also have 4 maylandia lombardoi but although recommended by the guy in the fish shop have got too aggressive with the male dominating the entire tank so are going to have to go. I was wondering what other species you guys could recommend of low-medium aggression to replace them?

I was thinking possibly pseudotropheus saulosi, but was slightly concerned at the possibility of cross breeding with all those pseudotropheus sp, altough the acei and socolofi have had loads of fry with no crosses! What do you think?!

Good call with the lombardoi. I really don't understand why LFS's stock them, of all the great mbuna they could...

My understanding is that Acei are pretty different from the other psuedo species. The socofoli and saulosi are much more similar in color/shape/behavior and might crossbreed. Up to you on taking the risk.

Other mbuna you might consider:
Cynotilapia afra (or other cynotilapia species) < numerous varients, some really nice
Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties) < good color balance/variation
Maylandia estherae (red zebra) < these are larger and more aggressive, but could work if you have plenty of caves/rockwork. They'd also balance the color nicely.

Just a few ideas... Sounds like a great tank so far. Good luck with it!
:thumbs:

How large are your specimens? In a 55g tank (I'm assuming you have a 4ft tank, not 3ftx1.5ft), 16 fully grown mbuna is beginning to sound a little crowded, although it can be done if you choose more peaceful species.

As already mentioned, a good call on the lombadoi. Also, you should watch out for that male socolofi's potential aggression as he matures. He will most likely be the king of the tank.

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas! Have thought about some of those, I fancied inparticular Afras, or red zebras but were concerned about their levels of aggression?!

Most the fish are about 3 inches at the moment and it is indeed a 4 foot, do you think another species is pushing it? That's why I was going for slightly smaller less aggressive species. The male socolofi was indeed the ruler of the tank before the lombardoi matured but he wasn't anywhere near as evil when he was in charge!!

Thanks

Becs
:fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back