52 Ornatipinnis/cyprichromis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gregswimm

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So last wk I go some ornatipinnis to go in my 10g. As it turns out this was a bad idea, as they do no have enough space. I had an old tank in my garage that they will be going into. I will also be adding a nice school of cyprochromis for dither/color. I am still toying with the idea of a third species, but I cannot think of anything from lake T that will work well with these guys.
Also, none of the equipment has come in yet, that light is there just to get a good picture.

Stocking list:
6x Ornatipinnis
10x Cyprichromis

Plants:
Java Fern
Assorted Anubias
Some Vals and Crypts (We shall see how long these last with vigorous diggers about)

The Rockscape:
0SIRJ.jpg

My Ornatipnnis:
mxbh9.jpg

mounted some java fern and anubias, and filled it with water. Will post pics once it clears \o/

Im going to bury some pots so I can plant some vals and make sure they stay in the ground.
DOOUg.jpg

Added terracotta pots for color. Pics up as soon a I get batteries for my camera.
Also tentative stocking list:
  • 6x Lamprologus ornatipinnis
  • 1x Neolamprologus leleupi
  • 8x Paracypricromis (price pending)

Light came in, I also got a leleupi and did some re-scaping. Also I shocked the #106### out of myself, had a shot T8 lamp on top of the tank so I could check it out under light. Well it fell in and I 'dove' in after it. My fingers still hurt lol. Still toying with my stocking, I might not go with cyps, they are so expensive >_<'

nQxNV.jpg

Please don't do a fish in cycle with cyps. They will die. Theyre fragile fish at the best of times, and not cheap either. Probably won't be able to cope with the large frequent water changes. Tank looks smart otherwise though :) not sure about the pots, look too man made imo

No no no, the cyps are the last thing to go in. I still have yet to buy them. The tank is holding stead at 0ammo and 0 nitrite, Im just looking for a good dealer. As far as the look goes, I have completly re-designed it. The stocking is 2 Julidochromis Marlieri, 6 Ornatipinnis Kigoma, and 3 Comps.

It looks a lot like this, I have made some changes since the picture was taken.
auhfU.jpg

WoW! Totally forgot I was doing this. Here is what you have missed. Got a pair of julie, they spawned more times than I can count. Found out the julies were of 2 different speces, took them back to the LFS and culled the fry. Still working on culling the fry, returned the Julies only this saturday. I had to more or less tear down the rock to get to them. So now the tank is boring :(. Looking for a smaller species of Juli, mayhaps J.ornatus, J.transcriptus or J.marlieri 'gombe'.

The L.ornatipinnis also spawned more times than I can count. 1" juvies are growing and happy :3. I moved the spawning L.ornatipinnis pair to a 29. Between them and the old Julies, 4 L.ornatipinnis were 'displaced'. They are back in the 55, hoping to make another pair or 2 :D. Delicious fries

Got comps, they are still small; not much to say here.

Also Cyps, I have 11. Not 100% what region they are from. Apparently my LFS doesn't bother to remember/believe in regional differences in fish (they tried to tell me the different variations of cyps comes from line breeding). Needless to say, they are no longer getting my business. The good news is that they were not breed there and the colors are consistent of a single region. I think I have also narrowed them down to a single region, Utinta commonly known as 'Utinta flourescent"/"Blue Flash". They can be viewed here.

Before the tear down:
JfJqG.jpg

5 min ago:
ma422.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back