50g planted tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

fishyfish22

Reaction score
Finally almost finished my 50 gallon planted community tank!
Iā€™m going to get some carpeting plants and some shorter ones to fill in the sides but for now I think itā€™s pretty much how I want it, plus when the plants grow a bit more and fill out it will look better! any thoughts or advice?

Iā€™m also looking into getting another larger peaceful fish that will get along with the current species I have, as a sort of statement for the tank, what would you recommend?

Current stocking
-guppies
-platies
-neons
-lyre swordtails
-flame dwarf gourami male
-albino corydoras

Ps the fish may look a little hectic at the moment as they were just fed but it usually looks quieter and not as busy itā€™s not over stocked I promise!

4DF24131-5F0F-47D9-A281-67834D9D81A4.jpeg

The only thing I feel like I should point out is the neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi) and dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius).

I would switch them both out. The neons are very sensitive to water parameters and die easily. But a hardier species that has the same appearance is the Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi).

Dwarf gouramis have a bad reputation for having an uncurable disease that always kills. It's been going on for a while and therefore it's best to avoid the species so you don't introduce it to the tank. There are other types of peaceful gourami. I'm pretty sure your tank is big enough for the beautiful pearl gourami (Trichopodus leerii). There are also other options like honey gourami as well that stay on the smaller side

Does the wood make your water go a different colour? Iā€™m after some more cover and plants in mine.
Looks amazing btw šŸ„°
Thank you!
I soak the wood in a tub of water for 2 weeks before adding it into the tank, mostly to make sure it will fully sink when I add it in but it also reduces the staining. For the first few weeks after adding the wood the water usually goes a little yellow but after a few water changes it goes back to clear and will stay clear!

The only thing I feel like I should point out is the neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi) and dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius).

I would switch them both out. The neons are very sensitive to water parameters and die easily. But a hardier species that has the same appearance is the Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi).

Dwarf gouramis have a bad reputation for having an uncurable disease that always kills. It's been going on for a while and therefore it's best to avoid the species so you don't introduce it to the tank. There are other types of peaceful gourami. I'm pretty sure your tank is big enough for the beautiful pearl gourami (Trichopodus leerii). There are also other options like honey gourami as well that stay on the smaller side
Ah okay thank you, I've had these same neons for over a year now they've been with me for both of the tank upgrades I've done and have never died on me except for one, but other than that they've been very hardy so I don't think I'll have an issue with them as they've been going strong and seem very content for so long now.
As for the gourami I didn't know that so thanks for letting me know, I was thinking about getting a pearl gourami one day so maybe I'll switch him out for one.

Thank you!
I soak the wood in a tub of water for 2 weeks before adding it into the tank, mostly to make sure it will fully sink when I add it in but it also reduces the staining. For the first few weeks after adding the wood the water usually goes a little yellow but after a few water changes it goes back to clear and will stay clear!
Thatā€™s great to know, what wood is it? Iā€™m after something to stick Anubis to :)

Ah okay thank you, I've had these same neons for over a year now they've been with me for both of the tank upgrades I've done and have never died on me except for one, but other than that they've been very hardy so I don't think I'll have an issue with them as they've been going strong and seem very content for so long now.
As for the gourami I didn't know that so thanks for letting me know, I was thinking about getting a pearl gourami one day so maybe I'll switch him out for one.
Sounds like youve gotten lucky with your batch of neons then!
Hopefully your set up goes well. I wish you the best of luck

Wow, nice tank!
What are the fish with blue heads and red tails? Are those all neons or is it different species?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back