50g Lake Tanganyika Shell Dweller Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Great news! I just spoke to a technician at Aqueon. They manufacture the 125 G I have on order. I asked about underlayment & he said NONE is required. I said I want to use big rocks for my cichlids. He said: That’s fine! No problem! You can fill that tank up to the top with big rocks if you want.

I suggest you call Zoo Med. I called them once myself on a betta food issue & they were as helpful & nice as this Aqueon man I just spoke to.
Wait, they'll do special builds and send them out? I bet that costs a pretty penny

My 125 G on order at the local pet shop is in their standard line.
Aqueon is the manufacturer & designer. Tank will be coming from their distributor to the LFS to me. I felt technical support at Aqueon would give me the correct answer vs the LFS. Or anyone else.
Have no idea if they do custom builds, kinda doubt it.

me when I manage to spend another 700 dollars on aquariums

also (for those that don't know yet), I got a quote for the aquadecor background and rocks - I'm going to go with that

What do they want for the rocks?
about 150 USD for 4 rocks according to their calculator, I still haven't specified the size so I don't know if the price will go down for smaller ones

4 large rocks is just about as many as I can fit in this tank, and I can fill in around them with some seiryu stone rubble

OK now we are in business
IMG_0495.JPG

I got the tank on a stand (the stand has a rectangular hole in it for a sump, but I won't be using a sump) and put some lids on it
aquadecor told me that my order will cost exactly 500 USD including background and rocks, so I will get that stuff ordered soon too

Wow this looks great can't believe I've missed it! Sorry if I've missed it in the thread but which species of Shelldweller are you thinking of putting in? Are you not tempted to put in a bit more of a mix? Can see why you would want to do single species though :)

With the hole in the top of the stand are you not worried about pressure points? I'd be tempted to put a piece of ply over the top?

Wills

Wow this looks great can't believe I've missed it! Sorry if I've missed it in the thread but which species of Shelldweller are you thinking of putting in? Are you not tempted to put in a bit more of a mix? Can see why you would want to do single species though :)

With the hole in the top of the stand are you not worried about pressure points? I'd be tempted to put a piece of ply over the top?

Wills
I don't know which species yet, I don't know much about mixing shell dweller species either and if it's even possible? would they hybridize or something? I would need someone more knowledgable to give input before I decide on species or mixing

the tank is built with a raised trim so the bottom pane of glass is not in contact with the stand
so, only the perimeter of the tank needs to be supported

I don't know which species yet, I don't know much about mixing shell dweller species either and if it's even possible? would they hybridize or something? I would need someone more knowledgable to give input before I decide on species or mixing

the tank is built with a raised trim so the bottom pane of glass is not in contact with the stand
so, only the perimeter of the tank needs to be supported
I didn't mean necessarily other shell dwellers but a tank that size would work with some Cypochromis (though height might be an issue) or other species like Calvus or Compreciseps, Dafodills or Julidochromis?

You should check out this channel his fishroom is awesome I learned so much about Tanganyikans from here.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back