50 Gallon Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kiira

Reaction score
A friend of mine has recently gotten a 50 gallon bow front tank for her classroom.

This is what we were hoping for:

2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Honey Dwarf Gourami
1 Blue or Gold Gourami
2 Angelfish
6 Cory cats
1 Pleco

Is that too many large fish? If so, what would be good stocking options as far as Gourami and Angelfish go?
Also, we would want to get some midground schooling fish
, like tetras or danios.

I think that's too many gouramis, for a start. The blue/gold/opaline/three spots can be very aggressive, so I'd leave those out, personally. Pick one species and get one male with a few females.

Two angels is doable, but you'd have to either buy a breeding pair, or start of with six/seven youngsters and wait for a pair to form. Two random angels (and they're almost impossible to sex) are very, very unlikely to live together.

Danios usually prefer cooler water, so tetras would be your best choice for your shoaling fish. Go for the larger, deeper bodied ones, or they'll end up as angel food, but avoid anything that can be nippy (so no silvertips, black widows, red phantoms or serpaes).

And do make sure you know what species of 'plec' you're getting; some (like commons and sailfins) can easily get to a foot and half in length! A bristlenose would be a good choice.

rummynose, emporer, or congo tetras would be a good choice. and sterbai corys

If this is for a classroom, you may want to be sure you can lock the lid.  I teach middle school and one of my neighbor teachers had an aquarium for a while until a student decided to bring some clorox to school and dump into tank when no one was looking.  I Kept a small ball python in my room for a while until I got tired of taking him home every few weeks (thanksgiving, christmas, spring break, summer), aquarium fish would be even harder to take home.  Just some things to think about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back