50 Gallon Small Cichlid Stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Malachi Muthiah

Reaction score
I am thinking of redoing my 50 gallon aquarium and instead of having a tropical community tank. Having a nice small species African cichlid tank. I was thinking of having smaller species in the tank so that I could have more fish. I've been doing some research and have found some that seem pretty compatible. I've loved the Shell Dwellers, Pindani Cichlids, Yellow Lab Cichlids, Labidochromis chisumulae, Golden Mbuna, Cobalt Zebra, Kennyi Cichlids, and Fairy Cichlids. I was thinking of having the temperature around 78-80. The main problems that I can think of are aggression towards the smaller shell dwellers and the water hardness differences. I would have sand as the substrate with a bunch of rocks all around the tank. I mainly want to have a shellies tank so that they would be able to breed but would also like to have some more color in the tank. Possibly with a cave spawning inhabitant as there would be some rock work and caves all throughout the tank. I'd also have some shells so that the multies can live in. Just wondering of some good tank mates for them. Thanks! :)

You could add plastic fry grass but be warned! I did and went from 8 cichlids to over 50 young adults in about a year in my 55 gallon.

I've loved the Shell Dwellers, Pindani Cichlids, Yellow Lab Cichlids, Labidochromis chisumulae, Golden Mbuna, Cobalt Zebra, Kennyi Cichlids, and Fairy Cichlids.

... I mainly want to have a shellies tank so that they would be able to breed but would also like to have some more color in the tank.
If you want shell dweller, do not add Mbuna, Zebras or Kennyi because they will kill the shell dwellers and beat the crap out of the other fish you listed.

Shell dwellers should only be kept with small peaceful cichlids that live in mid or upper levels of the tank.

Ok. I just did some more research and it looks like Pindani Cichlids are aggressive. So does this mean that Yellow Labs, Fairy Cichlids, and Labidochromis chisumulae are my best bet? Also do you have any suggestions for other tank mates that would be able to live with multies?

Ok. I just did some more research and it looks like Pindani Cichlids are aggressive. So does this mean that Yellow Labs, Fairy Cichlids, and Labidochromis chisumulae are my best bet? Also do you have any suggestions for other tank mates that would be able to live with multies?
Yes, those cichlids would be good. But if you want a peaceful cichlid tank, then get female electric yellow cichlids, because males are usually quite aggressive! You can tell if it is a female if it has almost see-through or white dorsal fins and anal fins. The males will have a dark black anal fin and pectoral fin. Or you could just ask the pet store if they could select some females for you. Good luck with your tank! :good:

Yes, those cichlids would be good. But if you want a peaceful cichlid tank, then get female electric yellow cichlids, because males are usually quite aggressive! You can tell if it is a female if it has almost see-through or white dorsal fins and anal fins. The males will have a dark black anal fin and pectoral fin. Or you could just ask the pet store if they could select some females for you. Good luck with your tank! :good:
I agree that female electric yellow Cichlids would be a good choice. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back