50 gallon central/south american cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bigroof

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys
Ive been following this forum for a while but never posted. This is my 1st post so here goes. Ive been keeping fish for about 2 years. Ive got 4 tanks currently. One of which im really proud of is my 75 us gallon mbuna tank. Recently ive taken an interest in new world cichlids. Ive invested on a 50 gallon tank and got it cycled now. I have fluval 307 and a fluval u4 running on the tank. Im just wondering if i want to keep just one new world cichlid in their what would you guys recommend? I love my fish and want them to have best life possible so any suggestions from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

It depends upon which species. London water is fairly hard I believe, well suited to rift lake mbuna but not so good for many South American cichlids which are softy to very soft water species. Central American species are a bit more "middle." Knowing the GH and pH will help members suggest options.

Thank you byron for your reply.
My Gh is 15 and my PH is 7.4.

With those levels you would be best off with smaller Central Americans in a 50G. Cryptoheros/Amatitlania species would be good like Nanoluteus, Cutteri, Sajica, Siquia - I would stay away from regular convicts as they are a bit too aggressive and you will be innundated with fry you wont be able to get rid of. Rainbow Cichlids would be nice too. Salvini, Nicaraguensis and Electric Blue Jack Dempsey females would be ok but males would be too big. Firemouth types -Thorichthys could work too quite a few species available now too like Ellioti and Aureus.

There are some Central American tetras but they are hard to find. Best of pairing them with livebearers as dither fish - you could go down the man made colours of mollies and swordtails or the wild types are really beautiful too if you find good quality ones. Some nice species of Molly around now too like Liberty and Mixteco. There are a number of Goodeid species that are easier to find these days I really like Skiffia if you can source them. Belonesox belizanus is very cool too but hard to find.

Would you want to keep single specimens of cichlid or would you like to do a group or pairs? If you want to do pairs your best option would be Cutteri or Nanoluteus with Rainbow Cichlids.

Also if you are in London you should check out Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnall Green they have a great selection of Cichlids - Aquarium Design Centre is good for them too.

Wills :)

Thank you wilis for taking time to give me such great advice. I will look in to your suggestions and see what i decide on.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back