5 Things You Want For Your Aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bettatamer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got this school project and I have to invent something to solve a problem. It has to be $20 to make max. ANY problems you have or items that could work better would be appreciated. I just need ideas. :)

Could you be a little more specific perhaps?

Do you mean you want to invent one thing or 5 things as per your topic title?
For a budget of $20, and these have to be inventions or improvements to things to a fish tank?

Is that about the gist of it?

As a newbie I ain't the best to ask, but what about an all in one unit that reads temp and measures tank parameters continually?
Is there such a thing already? 

TheClarks said:
As a newbie I ain't the best to ask, but what about an all in one unit that reads temp and measures tank parameters continually?
Is there such a thing already? 

Yes, there are pretty much such things on the market, TDS meter does some of that.

I cannot remember what they are called but there are digital readers that can do these, very expensive though

I'd venture a guess there isn't much you can invent for an aquarium at $20 or less.  This is an expensive hobby.

Quite honestly, if I had that knowledge, I probably wouldn't share it with you anyway, because it would be worth a fortune.  
winner.gif

There are a bajillion inexpensive DIY projects worth building for aquariums, though.  Does your invention have to be original and unique?

What about Charlie's diy test tube rack?  That's solving a problem and inexpensive to build, although not an original invention since test tube racks already exist... depends if the project is focussing on original ingenuity or practical diy skills?

20$ just an idea, could do a homemade "make your own CO2 set up"
use dollar store items.

meaning the product would have everything you would need for 20$..
inside it would be the canisters.. the yeast etc etc.

How about a background that you can change the look of by the click of a button? (I guess something like a digital photo-frame the size of the aquarium, probably a small one lol)
Or a tank decor, branches, stumps, caves.... that has interchangeable, connectable pieces, to change the look of it?

cry1.gif
I'm sad I cant name 5 things I want for my aqurium based on the content of the thread which had nothing to do with the title. I'd go with designing a cheap CO2 canister for that project.

I'm going to do it anyway:
  1. More plants (especially floating)
  2. More wood
  3. Bigger aquarium
  4. CO2 setup
  5. More plants

You could create fake plants, PVC tubes which are used as caves. You can have a look on youtube and create a cheap polystyrene fish tank. A home made filter, erm... Can't think of anything else at this point.

This is what I NEED (grr - so frustrated!):

seeding media to quickly cycle a tank. Why don't aquarium stores sell this?

You can buy those little bottles of live bacteria at pet stores that most people on this forum say don't work BUT everyone will suggest to get mature media from a cycled tank to quick start your own tank. Why doesn't someone have a large cycled tank with a bunch of sponges or something and sell those sponges? Couldn't you just mail them in some of the tank water with may-be a few drops of ammonia added to keep the bacteria fed before they reach their new tank?

If you have a cycled tank, this should be a fairly easy and cheap thing to create/test.

A small device that will plug into a car cigarette lighter and provide a small amount of safe heat for keeping fish at the right temperature on long journeys.  May be there is already something people use for taking fish to shows.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back