5 gallon killifish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

April_ht

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 4.2 gallon tank that was used to house platy fry for about 2 months and was only emptied this weekend, however the tank or sponge filter have not been washed as I donā€™t want to remove beneficial bacteria. If I were to get this set up and cycled again, would it be possible to have a pair of killifish?
Water hardness - 105ppm, 5.5kH
Average pH - 7.2 - 7.6
Unsure of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia as tank is currently empty and not in use.
I have a bit of experience in fishkeeping though very little, Iā€™ve only ever owned platy and now white cloud minnows but have been researching killifish for weeks as they have really captured my interest. From what Iā€™ve read so far, this is what ive gathered, please correct me if Iā€™m wrong;
Many killifish species are kept in smaller aquaria for breeding purposes, sometimes even small cups temporarily. They need floating plants to lay their eggs and hide fry, preferably with roots and like heavily planted tanks so that the female has a chance to escape the male if he becomes too territorial or overwhelms her. Smaller species can be kept in 5 gallons or even smaller tanks with frequent tests and care, as with any small nano tank. They often prefer lower pH (could this be lowered with Indian Almond leaves and driftwood that releases tannins?) and temperature depends on the species. Some can even live in slightly brackish water. Iā€™m considering the following based off of what I've read so far, but information seems to be mixed and unclear:
Aphyosemion gardneri (also known as fundlopanchax gardneri)
Aphyosemion chromaphyosemion (poliaki)
Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have a 4.2 gallon tank that was used to house platy fry for about 2 months and was only emptied this weekend, however the tank or sponge filter have not been washed as I donā€™t want to remove beneficial bacteria. If I were to get this set up and cycled again, would it be possible to have a pair of killifish?
Average pH - 7.2 - 7.6
I have a bit of experience in fishkeeping though very little, Iā€™ve only ever owned platy and now white cloud minnows but have been researching killifish for weeks as they have really captured my interest. From what Iā€™ve read so far, this is what ive gathered, please correct me if Iā€™m wrong;
Many killifish species are kept in smaller aquaria for breeding purposes, sometimes even small cups temporarily. They need floating plants to lay their eggs and hide fry, preferably with roots and like heavily planted tanks so that the female has a chance to escape the male if he becomes too territorial or overwhelms her. Smaller species can be kept in 5 gallons or even smaller tanks with frequent tests and care, as with any small nano tank. They often prefer lower pH (could this be lowered with Indian Almond leaves and driftwood that releases tannins?) and temperature depends on the species. Some can even live in slightly brackish water. Iā€™m considering the following based off of what I've read so far, but information seems to be mixed and unclear:
Will you be doing more than 1 male?

Average pH - 7.2 - 7.6
Also those killifish you listed at the bottom, are those the ones you want?

Sorry for the late response, no I don't plan to do more than one male as they can be very territorial but was thinking of 1 male and 1 female. The ones at the bottom were what I was considering.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back