5 gallon Fluval Spec V

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This was a fun read! I like going through journal threads and seeing how someone's tank and hobby has evolved.

LOL, saw your reply while I was writing this! I knew you'd see I was lurking the thread since I'd been reacting and you'd get a ton of notifications, sorry about that, but your siggy did invite people to check out your journal thread! So it's your own fault. ;) :lol:

How is the tank (or tanks, plural?) doing now? The plants were doing well and the tank was looking lovely, and you have some stunning shrimp! Are you still building your shrimp business empire? :D I'm somewhat jealous, and wanting to go out and get some new shrimp myself!
So uh, it's not doing great. The tank fell into disrepair when I started g12, as I started to become busy and lose interest. I've recently revamped it though and although I lost all the crystal shrimp, and the betta, I now have a nice tank going with neocaridina, the same cardinal tetra, 4 lampeye killies, and 6 pygmy corydoras, one of which has swim bladder disease.

However, there's good news. In a month or two I'm planning to reset this tank and aquascape it similar to this reference image. As I'm now on my gap year and have much more time I can do a lot more.

5pq6q46ffmob1.jpg

edit: with all organisms intact of course

So uh, it's not doing great. The tank fell into disrepair when I started g12, as I started to become busy and lose interest. I've recently revamped it though and although I lost all the crystal shrimp, and the betta, I now have a nice tank going with neocaridina, the same cardinal tetra, 4 lampeye killies, and 6 pygmy corydoras, one of which has swim bladder disease.

I understand about losing interest and tanks not thriving as a result - while caring for my parents, I could only manage basic maintenance on my tanks, didn't have time to mess with planting, ferts, or the usual fussing I did with the tanks, and lost a lot of expensive and lovely plants, and a few fish, as a result.

But, I'm revamping, setting up different tanks, and getting back into the hobby again now, just to keep me occupied in a way I enjoy and to focus on a relaxing (sometimes, anyway) hobby in between all the hard real life stuff. My current tanks have been getting more maintenance and care now, and looking a lot better as a result.

I do fear that you're overstocking again, I'm sorry to say it. :( It's only a five gallon, and when you take into account substrate, filter hardscape etc displacement, t's actually less than five gallons total water volume. Pygmy cories are lovely and don't have a super high bioload, but a five gallon is cramped, even for those tiny fish, and they also really need groups of 8-12, or more, to thrive, and there isn't room in that tank for that many, or for them to explore and filter feed. What kind of substrate is it? Because they really need soft sand to filter feed, and to play in.

I don't know much about killie fish, going to tag @GaryE since he happens to be a killie expert! Handy to have species experts like him and Emeraldking for livebearers. :)

Cardinal tetra really need a school of conspecifics, and much more horizontal space as they're strong and active swimmers. If your parents won't let you return him to the store, is it possible to look for another hobbyist that has cardinals and would adopt him? They can live for a long time, and sentencing him to live alone in a tiny tank feels awful to me. :( Trying to think of the fish's welfare, and how you can have long term success with your stocking, you know?

There are fish, and as you well know, shrimp, that will be fine in a five gallon, but having just skimmed the whole journal, while you're enthusiastic and it's a very pretty tank, you have had a tendency to overstock and not get fish in the numbers they need... Not wanting to criticise, I'm sorry, just trying to give constructive advice!

Why not look for a second hand 10 or 20 gallon? Especially if you could get a 20g long, which gives you a lot more options for aquascaping, for stocking, and is actually easier to maintain than a five gallon, since the increased water volume means you have more time to spot and fix problems before disaster strikes. Then you could keep a school of cardinals if you wanted, and they're stunning when actively schooling in a decent sized space and in a group! More options for plants, for scaping, and if you add a couple more pygmy corydoras, they'd thrive in a 10-20g. You can get them super cheap if you hunt for second hand ones.

My brother actually wanted to retry the caridina shrimp again, so here's the journal: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/10-gallon-co2-shrimp-plant-tank.491802/

If you want some shrimp advice though I have plenty, as now i have kept both main types and I think I'm qualified to advise.

LOL, thank you! But I've had a colony of neocaridina for years now. I just fall in love with every colour variety of shrimp, and want to keep them all! It has encouraged me to set up my empty five gallon though, and get it ready for some plants and shrimp, so thank you for the inspo. :)

I understand about losing interest and tanks not thriving as a result - while caring for my parents, I could only manage basic maintenance on my tanks, didn't have time to mess with planting, ferts, or the usual fussing I did with the tanks, and lost a lot of expensive and lovely plants, and a few fish, as a result.

But, I'm revamping, setting up different tanks, and getting back into the hobby again now, just to keep me occupied in a way I enjoy and to focus on a relaxing (sometimes, anyway) hobby in between all the hard real life stuff. My current tanks have been getting more maintenance and care now, and looking a lot better as a result.

I do fear that you're overstocking again, I'm sorry to say it. :( It's only a five gallon, and when you take into account substrate, filter hardscape etc displacement, t's actually less than five gallons total water volume. Pygmy cories are lovely and don't have a super high bioload, but a five gallon is cramped, even for those tiny fish, and they also really need groups of 8-12, or more, to thrive, and there isn't room in that tank for that many, or for them to explore and filter feed. What kind of substrate is it? Because they really need soft sand to filter feed, and to play in.

I don't know much about killie fish, going to tag @GaryE since he happens to be a killie expert! Handy to have species experts like him and Emeraldking for livebearers. :)

Cardinal tetra really need a school of conspecifics, and much more horizontal space as they're strong and active swimmers. If your parents won't let you return him to the store, is it possible to look for another hobbyist that has cardinals and would adopt him? They can live for a long time, and sentencing him to live alone in a tiny tank feels awful to me. :( Trying to think of the fish's welfare, and how you can have long term success with your stocking, you know?

There are fish, and as you well know, shrimp, that will be fine in a five gallon, but having just skimmed the whole journal, while you're enthusiastic and it's a very pretty tank, you have had a tendency to overstock and not get fish in the numbers they need... Not wanting to criticise, I'm sorry, just trying to give constructive advice!

Why not look for a second hand 10 or 20 gallon? Especially if you could get a 20g long, which gives you a lot more options for aquascaping, for stocking, and is actually easier to maintain than a five gallon, since the increased water volume means you have more time to spot and fix problems before disaster strikes. Then you could keep a school of cardinals if you wanted, and they're stunning when actively schooling in a decent sized space and in a group! More options for plants, for scaping, and if you add a couple more pygmy corydoras, they'd thrive in a 10-20g. You can get them super cheap if you hunt for second hand ones.
Yeah now looking back the cories may not be the greatest fit for the tank, but I'll do my best to deal with them. Yeah the overstocking is an issue I'm well aware don't worry. I'm doing my best to fight it.

Yeah now looking back the cories may not be the greatest fit for the tank, but I'll do my best to deal with them. Yeah the overstocking is an issue I'm well aware don't worry. I'm doing my best to fight it.

You can pretty much solve it by moving the pygmies to the ten gallon, but I said that in your new thread, so I'll stop nagging now! :lol:

I have no idea about the killies though, @GaryE is your man for those fish. :)

Hi!

Just wondering whether you'd decided to move the pygmies to the ten gallon tank?

My brother is away for the next two weeks and I need him to reset the tank, and I don't want to get collect the cories before that. It will be a lot easier once all the plants and decoration is out of the tank for me to remove the fish

Sorry just thought you wanted to know.
No, I'm sorry. I'm just going through a hard time, and I was taking it out on you - I'm truly sorry. You didn't do anything wrong! :flowers:I did. Felt bad instantly. I hope you can forgive and forget.

I am glad that your pygmies will be going into a more suitable set up now, and hope your plans all go well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back