5 gallon brackish tank. Puffer Tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samsung-401

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I would like to set up a 5 gallon brakish fish tank. I have no idea what to do. Can someone give me the whole set up process. I would like to put a puffer in it.

I have had no expierience what so ever with salt or brackish. :no: So this is a completely new thing for me.

List of Supplys:
1. 5 gallon tank.
2. A small heater.
3. A lid, complete with light.
4. I have fine gravle, but would sand be a better choice.
5. I have not bought a filter yet, I have know idea what kind o buy. Or does it really not matter?
6. I know I need sakt but what kind do I need. Aquarium salt or Ocean salt?
7. Any thing else I need?

Also how much salt would I need to add for a 5 gallon tank? What happens to the salt in the water when I do water changes. How would I add new water with out messing up the salt content in the water.

Any help would be appreciated.

If there is anything I left out please make sure to add it.

I also posted this in tropicle chit-chat.

But there aren't any brackish puffers that are small enough for a 5 gallon tank.

The only puffers small enough for that tiny thing are a couple of dwarfs, but they're 100% freshwater.

imo 15 to 20 gallons is the minimum for one of the smallest brackish puffers such as a figure 8. If you want to keep 2, you'll need at least double this so they can establish territories.

I have 2 GSP's in my 20gallon and they get along fine!
Though, saying that they are juveniles and I have broken up the view points in the tank. By the way a word of advice, my puffers tend to get stuck behind my heater and filter so I had to move them!

You also need a hydrometer to measure how much salt you actually put in, you will need marine salt (not aquarium salt), and maybe a powerhead..

Shouldn't need a powerhead, you'd get enough flow with just a filter in that size tank. How about a 10 gallon with 3 Dwarf Puffers? Dwarf Puffers are just as cool as Bracksih Puffers.You would need at least a 30 gallon for any Brackish Puffers IMHO. Good Luck. ;)

:p I have a powerhead in the 6 and my GSP likes it mucho. :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back