FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hello! I am getting started on a relatively loose biotope for a male betta. Here is my plan so far

Tank -
5 gallon rimless tank - 16x8 inches
Aqueon Nano planted tank light

Stock -
1 male betta splendens

Plants -
Crypts (2)
Water sprite
vals
Willow hygro
dwarf Pennywort

bamboo
pothos

i may be forgetting some!

this is the betta, currently sitting in the cup the pet store sold him in. I donā€™t like it, but is sufficient for while I get his tank together. Thereā€™s also a pic of the tanks location.

plan for today is to get the tank filled and scaped and planted and add the betta. So I guess everything lol.

Attachments

• E6C35470-7E55-44A7-9776-9E23F99BFC01.jpeg
    E6C35470-7E55-44A7-9776-9E23F99BFC01.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 115
  • D8C7FEB8-01B8-4825-A7EA-C361E641A5EC.jpeg
    D8C7FEB8-01B8-4825-A7EA-C361E641A5EC.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 121
Hello! I am getting started on a relatively loose biotope for a male betta. Here is my plan so far

Tank -

Stock -
1 male betta splendens

Plants -
Crypts (2)
Water sprite
vals
Willow hygro
dwarf Pennywort

bamboo
pothos

this is the betta, currently sitting in the cup the pet store sold him in. I donā€™t like it, but is sufficient for while I get his tank together. Thereā€™s also a pic of the tanks location.

plan for today is to get the tank filled and scaped and planted and add the betta. So I guess everything lol.
Yayyy!!! I might just make a pixel art profile picture of that betta. I really like those colours wow.

Tank -

Stock -
1 male betta splendens

Plants -
Crypts (2)
Water sprite
vals
Willow hygro
dwarf Pennywort

bamboo
pothos

Really excited to see how this comes together. Can't wait to see the finished result

You have other tanks don't you? surely you have a fry box sitting around somewhere. if so, you can just keep the betta in a fry box in another tank for the time being so that he isn't sitting around in his own dung.

You have other tanks don't you? surely you have a fry box sitting around somewhere. if so, you can just keep the betta in a fry box in another tank for the time being so that he isn't sitting around in his own dung.
Nope I unfortunately do not have a fry box. I have a one gallon bowl but thatā€™s it. I figured it would be less stressful for him to just stay in his cup for the two days it takes me to set up his new tank rather than put him in a bowl them in his new tank?

All my plants! Bamboo, dwarf penny wort, Willow hygro, some small vals and a small bunch of water sprite. I also put all the sand in the tank. All of it was pulled from my other tanks.
60104392-83B3-43BE-9C59-3FB27BD1C0D7.jpeg
F9755696-62C6-42C3-BA1A-687574BA025F.jpeg
1D03B0C1-A726-4EB8-A53C-B80A53CCB767.jpeg
134C26FF-0ADD-488E-B1B3-22D98125F03A.jpeg
1816070E-9E58-42D0-A63F-086B775856F6.jpeg
0E79A972-BF85-4D90-BD25-B751C5673AB3.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DB77E51-17F0-48B4-B90B-6A9563ED54FF.jpeg
    1DB77E51-17F0-48B4-B90B-6A9563ED54FF.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 96866AF4-B71A-4F59-8E12-B00D943E65E8.jpeg
    96866AF4-B71A-4F59-8E12-B00D943E65E8.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 83
I am a bit frustrated! That branch of driftwood looks really awful with the bamboo in the tank. I am going to use my nice chunk of Malaysian driftwood instead, it makes the tank look a bit more ā€œbalancedā€. I did get all the plants in with the new driftwood though and it looks really nice!
A38F074D-0E42-4FCA-BA45-C07D21596F33.jpeg

I am a bit frustrated! That branch of driftwood looks really awful with the bamboo in the tank. I am going to use my nice chunk of Malaysian driftwood instead, it makes the tank look a bit more ā€œbalancedā€. I did get all the plants in with the new driftwood though and it looks really nice!View attachment 149009
that looks really good! I cant wait for the betta to be added!

that looks really good! I cant wait for the betta to be added!
Thanks! Me neither. I am hopefully going to get him in within the next hour. I COMPLETELY forgot that one of the dogs chewed up my aquarium heater, so will need to order one tonight. At least the betta will be happier in a room temp 5 gallon than in a room temp cup. This tank isnā€™t going to have a filter, because it has so many plants and such, so I will be monitoring the water quality and performing weekly or as necessary water changes. I donā€™t expect it to be an issue

Thanks! Me neither. I am hopefully going to get him in within the next hour. I COMPLETELY forgot that one of the dogs chewed up my aquarium heater, so will need to order one tonight. At least the betta will be happier in a room temp 5 gallon than in a room temp cup. This tank isnā€™t going to have a filter, because it has so many plants and such, so I will be monitoring the water quality and performing weekly or as necessary water changes. I donā€™t expect it to be an issue
If you have spare bags of media lying around that you can replace in other tanks you might be able to get away with putting the used media under driftwood or something and then putting new media into the tank which the media was taken from. Then you get to cheat the system and fast forward the cycling process.

Tank -

Stock -
1 male betta splendens

Plants -
Crypts (2)
Water sprite
vals
Willow hygro
dwarf Pennywort

bamboo
pothos

Looking good! Hereā€™s my eBay betta boy in his 10 G. The red plants are in a pricey Fluval pellet like soil. Wouldnā€˜t stay in the little 3 oz cups I used as pots. I read the pellets do better with gravel on top. idk

Attachments

• 4CA8708F-EB51-47FF-9E1D-63D9F5AC4FD0.jpeg
    4CA8708F-EB51-47FF-9E1D-63D9F5AC4FD0.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 90
Looking good! Hereā€™s my eBay betta boy in his 10 G. The red plants are in a pricey Fluval pellet like soil. Wouldnā€˜t stay in the little 3 oz cups I used as pots. I read the pellets do better with gravel on top. idk
ooooo beautiful! I didnā€™t realize you had a betta!

Tank -

Stock -
1 male betta splendens

Plants -
Crypts (2)
Water sprite
vals
Willow hygro
dwarf Pennywort

bamboo
pothos

Do you have a filter?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back