4x39w T5 Too Much For A 40g Us Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
good price for all that t5. im no expert but should be good just use co2 and have loads of plants

While on this subject, I have a 55 Gallon and I'm getting a 260 watt light combo. That's more than 5 watt per gallon (yikes) How high do you have to have the C02? I'm still new at this but since my plants will come after the lights should I not bother to put the lights on till i get alot of plants? Ahhhhhh sooooooo confusing

ive got a CO2 kit in the mail!

ive seen a few peeps with ~3 wpg. it does seem pretty cheap for the lights!

might grab em. only $160!

your 5wpg seems like a load too much too!

Oh Fart my husband bought them for me tonight while I was letting the dog out. It has 3 switches with 4 lights (one is a moon lamp) so I can have just 2 on at the same time. (or 3 if I unplug one :hey: )

Hi

3.9 WPG will be fine - but you need to be cranking your CO2. You MUST plant very heavily. Ditto for the 5 or so WPG case, although you may be walking a bit more of a tight rope. Some folk will use up to 9-10 WPG, but they will have a lot of experience in plant tanks. Nutrient deficientcy issues could raise their heads too, as once you start to get to >4 WPG you're really talking about turbocharging the tank.

Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick!

thanks for the reply mate. :D

ive got the CO2 kit in the post so we should be under control there soon, i am planning on planting the thing like crazy too.

just sorting all the bits and bobs out!

i already have quite a few plants in there.

Cheers!

Hugh

Yeh wouldn't think that much light would be to much

Yeah I wouldn't put all your lights on until you have LOTS of plants and STABLE CO2 . This was good advice given to me here, but unfortunately the nasty little algae spores were already busy multiplying.

I know the urge to get your nice new equipment earning its moneys worth and making your tank look all bright and beautiful and everything but its worth waiting until you have CO2 and everything else sorted, then turn on the HO lights.

chameleongeekgrl -- > I remember your tank being very very very deep! So i would not take your calculated WPG as a true WPG. Since you will need to consider the depth of water the light must penetrate!! If i was you i would not skimp on the lighting, you will need plenty especially if u have carpet plants.

I know little about moon light, its never been something i am interested in having, but if it is possible, i would consider swapping it for a standard light tube and using that.

Or you say combo...is it a T5 and MH combo ...if so...nice one!!

Remind me again what your tank dimensions are and your plant choices? You are gonna have to plan it well to take into consideration the depth and the asthetics.

Plant v heavily as nick said ! :) I`ve just spent over £100 on plants to cover a 60 x 30 cm area.

Chris

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back