4ft betta tank - equiptment and advice

Well the substrate police will probably not come so it's not a crime :)
Mixing sand with coarser gravel like material often finds it's own layering in time which may or may not matter aesthetically.
Just a heads up, I have heard that ADA substrate releases a lot of ammonia and requires numerous water changes before it's safe for fish.
Thanks so much! That is awesome to know

Hi all! Thought I would give you an update on the build, this is how it looks so far:
20200203_125909.jpg
20200203_125904.jpg
20200203_130236.jpg
20200203_125956.jpg

Photo 3 is my favourite because you can see Elvis in the bottom left of the tank :) I've gone with sand topped with gravel about 20Kg of each. So far all of his hardscape, filter media and plants have been moved to this tank. I bought a few more plants online too! I also got that perspex lid made. My canister filter stopped working so I did end up having to buy a new one- I went with an internal filter suitable for tanks 400Litres large (baffled to reduce water flow) and he also has his little filter on the other end of the tank to keep the water moving better.

I have gone for a jungle-type theme for this tank so don't mind if it looks a little over grown once the plants establish themselves. I don't normally go for such stark/light substrate but am pleased with how animated it makes the tank look.

Things I need to do:
- get more floating plants
- deciede what plants will work well as foreground plants (suggestions welcome!)
- add some more hardscape, am thinking some more lava rocks

I think having a single Betta in a 4ft has been the best thing i personally have ever done in terms of keeping fish. Elvis seems really happy. And that makes me really happy!

Thanks everyone for your advise and help!!! Much appreciated :)

Edit: he still lives with 5 nerite snails but I had to remove the mystery snail. There wasn't any aggression when they lived in the 75L together but weirdly in this larger tank, Elvis was having none of it!

*I will post a photo when ever the tank is 100% complete also :) *

Last edited:
I did think about dividing the tank but I'm going to go with one undivided tank for now. They are pretty cool though! I've never made one before! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to post a photo once it is done!

No way, huge is great.
My preference would be shrimp instead of snails. But just my preference. They won’t use the same space as your betta and are good with plants and clean up.

I think Elvis is going to be one happy Betta. Tank is looking great and he has plenty of places to explore :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Back