48l Tropical Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

A couple suggestions from topics earlier in this thread...

No problem with the 10 Paracheirodon innesi here. having the plants makes a big difference, and this is not an active species. You could consider a group of one of the "dwarf" cory species, but not the larger ones. Corydoras pygmaeus or Corydoras habrosus would work, a group of 9-10 (no fewer). The C. pygmaeus will likely shoal around with the neons too, which is rather nice to see in small tanks. C. habrosus perhaps less likely to do this.

Sword plants. It will be interesting to see how large they do grow, as there is considerable variation. The species is Echinodorus griesbachii. It was probably sold as Echinodorus bleherae, but phylogenetic analysis (Lehtonen 2006, Lehtonen 2008, Lehtonen & Myllys 2008) determined that this is not a distinct species, and the DNA is E. griesbachii. The plants in this genus can attain vastly different sizes. This takes us to botanical nomenclature.

Echinodorus amazonicus, Echinodorus amazonicus var. parviflorus, Echinodorus amphibius, Echinodorus bleherae, Echinodorus eglandulosus, Echinodorus gracilis, Echinodorus grisebachii var. minor and Echinodorus parviflorus were considered distinct species (Rataj 1975, 2004) but are now deemed to be within the one polymorphic species E. grisebachii. Differences in appearance between these plants are apparent--"E. amazonicus" for exampple is much smaller in size than "E. bleherae"--and seem dependent on the specific environment in the aquarium; this seems likely to also occur in nature, what can be termed transitional forms of the species. But the limited genetic variation within the complex is insufficient to establish reasonable groupings (Lehtonen & Falck, 2011).

I bought what was considered "E. bleherae" some 12 years ago. This genus of plants do extremely well in my tanks, the green-leaf ones that is, so I have stayed with them. From the initial plant, I removed adventitious plants, and some of these went into different tanks, and produced adventitious plants, etc, etc. I noted that in some tanks they never grew beyond 5-6 inches in leaf length, while in other tanks I had leaves that were 24 inches in length. Light and nutrient conditions do seem to influence the growth habit of this plant. Substrate tabs most definitely improve plant growth.

I recently had a similar experience with another species in this genus. Labelled Echinodorus osiris when purchased, it grew into a nice busy plant with wavy leaves that were 7 to 9 inches in length. It was in my 70g tank for some six or seven years. Last year I moved and downsized, so the larger tanks were given away. This plant had done fairly well over the years, so I kept it, and planted it in my 40g tank which is primarily for my 41 cories. That was last May (2019). During the late summer into the autumn, the new leaves emerging from the centre of the crown grew to 24-25 inches. In the photo below, this plant is on the right; you can also see two E. griesbachii on the far left, and one is considerably larger than the other, yet these were both off the same inflorescence of the parent plant.

Attachments

• 40g May 23 2020 (1).jpg
    40g May 23 2020 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
Copepods are harmless. Just dont overfeed and you shouldnt see a ton of them.
Some fish like to eat them. I culture them as live food for older fry and for my nano tank because my sparkling gouramis go bonkers hunting for them relentlessly all day

Yeah thats good to hear then. i have read a little bit about them. I had my tank originally set up since the start of march, but towards the end of april i noticed these tiny white dots on the glass of my tank, and i panicked. did some research and read up that they could be a type of worm, that is hard to get rid off. so i completely emptied my tank, and threw everything away. and then straight away cleaned the tank its self and set everything back up again, with new substrate, new plants and the new ornament. only to find those little white dots on the glass again several days ago, and doing some more research, i found out that they was actually Copepods.

so really if i would of knew they was copepods back then, i would of had my tank set up for a lot longer, and would of definitely been more established

A couple suggestions from topics earlier in this thread...

No problem with the 10 Paracheirodon innesi here. having the plants makes a big difference, and this is not an active species. You could consider a group of one of the "dwarf" cory species, but not the larger ones. Corydoras pygmaeus or Corydoras habrosus would work, a group of 9-10 (no fewer). The C. pygmaeus will likely shoal around with the neons too, which is rather nice to see in small tanks. C. habrosus perhaps less likely to do this.

Sword plants. It will be interesting to see how large they do grow, as there is considerable variation. The species is Echinodorus griesbachii. It was probably sold as Echinodorus bleherae, but phylogenetic analysis (Lehtonen 2006, Lehtonen 2008, Lehtonen & Myllys 2008) determined that this is not a distinct species, and the DNA is E. griesbachii. The plants in this genus can attain vastly different sizes. This takes us to botanical nomenclature.

Echinodorus amazonicus, Echinodorus amazonicus var. parviflorus, Echinodorus amphibius, Echinodorus bleherae, Echinodorus eglandulosus, Echinodorus gracilis, Echinodorus grisebachii var. minor and Echinodorus parviflorus were considered distinct species (Rataj 1975, 2004) but are now deemed to be within the one polymorphic species E. grisebachii. Differences in appearance between these plants are apparent--"E. amazonicus" for exampple is much smaller in size than "E. bleherae"--and seem dependent on the specific environment in the aquarium; this seems likely to also occur in nature, what can be termed transitional forms of the species. But the limited genetic variation within the complex is insufficient to establish reasonable groupings (Lehtonen & Falck, 2011).

I bought what was considered "E. bleherae" some 12 years ago. This genus of plants do extremely well in my tanks, the green-leaf ones that is, so I have stayed with them. From the initial plant, I removed adventitious plants, and some of these went into different tanks, and produced adventitious plants, etc, etc. I noted that in some tanks they never grew beyond 5-6 inches in leaf length, while in other tanks I had leaves that were 24 inches in length. Light and nutrient conditions do seem to influence the growth habit of this plant. Substrate tabs most definitely improve plant growth.

I recently had a similar experience with another species in this genus. Labelled Echinodorus osiris when purchased, it grew into a nice busy plant with wavy leaves that were 7 to 9 inches in length. It was in my 70g tank for some six or seven years. Last year I moved and downsized, so the larger tanks were given away. This plant had done fairly well over the years, so I kept it, and planted it in my 40g tank which is primarily for my 41 cories. That was last May (2019). During the late summer into the autumn, the new leaves emerging from the centre of the crown grew to 24-25 inches. In the photo below, this plant is on the right; you can also see two E. griesbachii on the far left, and one is considerably larger than the other, yet these were both off the same inflorescence of the parent plant.

You really think my tank would be suitable to add some dwarf corys to it ? would that not be too much of a fish load ?

and yeah, i didnā€™t realise amazon swords could grow so big, until posting them in this thread! and yes they were sold to me as Echinodorus bleheri! So youā€™re saying my amazon swords are actually called Echinodorus griesbachii ?

and iā€™m going to be honest mate a lot of that information about the plants has gone right over my head i am extremely new to plant keep, these are my first type of plants. I choose them simply because they said they are easy maintenance, and i really liked the look of them!

Snails, like shrimps, are sensitive to water conditions. I would leave them a few months as well.

Actually that only applies to snails we pay for. The pest snails that hitch on plants are indestructible :)

@Byron do you have a thread with more photos of your tanks and fish? Thats an awesome tank. Lookit all them cories!!

Yeah thats good to hear then. i have read a little bit about them. I had my tank originally set up since the start of march, but towards the end of april i noticed these tiny white dots on the glass of my tank, and i panicked. did some research and read up that they could be a type of worm, that is hard to get rid off. so i completely emptied my tank, and threw everything away. and then straight away cleaned the tank its self and set everything back up again, with new substrate, new plants and the new ornament. only to find those little white dots on the glass again several days ago, and doing some more research, i found out that they was actually Copepods.

so really if i would of knew they was copepods back then, i would of had my tank set up for a lot longer, and would of definitely been more established
You could get a trio of sparkling gourami, 1male to 2 female ratio if you can, they will eradicate all your copepods lol they can be housed with your neons fine i think, but not good if you plan on shrimp as they will hunt shrimp

Snails, like shrimps, are sensitive to water conditions. I would leave them a few months as well.

Actually that only applies to snails we pay for. The pest snails that hitch on plants are indestructible :)
I feed the pest snails to my RES turtles, it is a "capture and release program" your right they do seem to be indestructible. ;)

You really think my tank would be suitable to add some dwarf corys to it ? would that not be too much of a fish load ?

and yeah, i didnā€™t realise amazon swords could grow so big, until posting them in this thread! and yes they were sold to me as Echinodorus bleheri! So youā€™re saying my amazon swords are actually called Echinodorus griesbachii ?

and iā€™m going to be honest mate a lot of that information about the plants has gone right over my head i am extremely new to plant keep, these are my first type of plants. I choose them simply because they said they are easy maintenance, and i really liked the look of them!

Yes on the pygmy cories. No hesitation at all. With the plants and regular maintenance (weekly water change of 50-60%) no issues.

Yes, that is E. grisebachii. As I said, growth size can vary. Keep them, they are lovely plants. In the photo you can see how the long leaves of my "osiris" grow up and across the surface and down again, that is nice too.

I like to provide background and information to members, some are keen for this and others less, that is fine. Better to explain things than make guesses without the reason, which can mislead.

I feed the pest snails to my RES turtles, it is a "capture and release program" your right they do seem to be indestructible. ;)
Ive had a few bladder snails end up in a container of water, forgot about them. Nothing fed, no water changes, but they still bred like crazy. One snail ended up 50 in a couple weeks, even without food.

Ramshorns arent as bad with reproduction speed lol

@Byron do you have a thread with more photos of your tanks and fish? Thats an awesome tank. Lookit all them cories!!

You could get a trio of sparkling gourami, 1male to 2 female ratio if you can, they will eradicate all your copepods lol they can be housed with your neons fine i think, but not good if you plan on shrimp as they will hunt shrimp

I will have a little look into them then. never heard of them before! they sound interesting.

Yes on the pygmy cories. No hesitation at all. With the plants and regular maintenance (weekly water change of 50-60%) no issues.

Yes, that is E. grisebachii. As I said, growth size can vary. Keep them, they are lovely plants. In the photo you can see how the long leaves of my "osiris" grow up and across the surface and down again, that is nice too.

I like to provide background and information to members, some are keen for this and others less, that is fine. Better to explain things than make guesses without the reason, which can mislead.

oh well maybe i will consider some then. is there a minimum of them i would have to have though ? because i definitely wouldnā€™t like to overcrowd my tank! and a 50% water change would be no problem at all. i have plenty of buckets ahah!

and okay i will try and do a little bit of research on E. grisebachii!!

Im glad you shared your knowledge with me, im always keen to learn more, and iā€™m sure i will have no problem finding out much more in this forum!

Ive had a few bladder snails end up in a container of water, forgot about them. Nothing fed, no water changes, but they still bred like crazy. One snail ended up 50 in a couple weeks, even without food.

Ramshorns arent as bad with reproduction speed lol
I have one large ramshorn snail in my shrimp tank he was a hitchhiker, I have seen several small ones but like small bladder/pond snails my ghost shrimp seem to eat them. Pond snails over ran my tetra tank and it took me a month to reudce their numbers, now there is just a few with my 7 nerites snails.

I have one large ramshorn snail in my shrimp tank he was a hitchhiker, I have seen several small ones but like small bladder/pond snails my ghost shrimp seem to eat them. Pond snails over ran my tetra tank and it took me a month to reudce their numbers, now there is just a few with my 7 nerites snails.

I think i will definitely just go for the nerite snail then! Dont want to have to deal with a tank over run by snails haha

Nerites may lay eggs but they don't hatch. If get more than one as long as they are different species they won't even lay eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back