48l Tropical Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you take something and poke it, does it come loose? Does it move?

Ive had some stuff in my tanks called bryozoa, sometimes it finds its way into tanks. If its bryozoa, its harmless and fascinating. Some fish may even eat them, theyre a type of invertebrate.

But it could be something else, its hard to see

Yeah i am testing my water ever week with the API Master test kit. and i have spent many hours researching all about the nitrogen cycle, so i’m pretty clued up on that! which in the past, keeping goldfish i was never aware of!

I will definitely hold off on getting any shrimp anytime soon then!

How about a snail tho ? is there any snails that are hardy and would be beneficial to my tank ?
I have nerite snails in all my tanks except my RES turtle tank (they eat snails) I also have a ramshorn snail in my shrimp tank and a few pond snails that hitch hiked their way in.

If you take something and poke it, does it come loose? Does it move?

Ive had some stuff in my tanks called bryozoa, sometimes it finds its way into tanks. If its bryozoa, its harmless and fascinating. Some fish may even eat them, theyre a type of invertebrate.

But it could be something else, its hard to see

Yes it comes off, and has just started to float about the tank

Attachments

• B3303815-6FB4-4A8E-9080-7B23461B8791.jpeg
    B3303815-6FB4-4A8E-9080-7B23461B8791.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
I have nerite snails in all my tanks except my RES turtle tank (they eat snails) I also have a ramshorn snail in my shrimp tank and a few pond snails that hitch hiked their way in.

are Nerite snails the ones that dont bread in an aquarium ? i dont fancy having a snail that could over run my tank

I do not know what that is but have seen simular things in newly established tanks before, People have removed the items and wiped them down or left it and it disappears in time.

Alright, then not bryozoa.

It may be a type of soft algae like diatoms starting though usually they're brown. Could just be natural debris fungusing. Hows the filtration?

Alright, then not bryozoa.

It may be a type of soft algae like diatoms starting though usually they're brown. Could just be natural debris fungusing. Hows the filtration?
Right okay, i’ll keep a close eye on it! and the filteration seems fine. i have the interpet CF filter that came with the tank. except i haven’t used the cartridges that come with the filter, instead I have cut up my own filter sponge, and placed that in, and used some filter floss, and used some fluval biomax media, but the filter is working fine and the water flow is the same its always been!

Good then, sounds fine. Then probably just a form of diatoms which are normal in newly established tanks. They will go away in time.

Good then, sounds fine. Then probably just a form of diatoms which are normal in newly established tanks. They will go away in time.

Well thats good to hear, i’ll keep my eye on it, and let you know if it gets any worse!

another question for you, do you know much about copepods ?

More sponge is good for you filter, I have a box full of those carbon cartridges I use them only to remove medication. :good: A snail or two would be fine.

copepods are not a problem, I have them in my shrimp tank and probably all my tanks. They eat the excess food in the gravel and the fish will eat them

Well thats good to hear, i’ll keep my eye on it, and let you know if it gets any worse!

another question for you, do you know much about copepods ?
Copepods are harmless. Just dont overfeed and you shouldnt see a ton of them.
Some fish like to eat them. I culture them as live food for older fry and for my nano tank because my sparkling gouramis go bonkers hunting for them relentlessly all day

More sponge is good for you filter, I have a box full of those carbon cartridges I use them only to remove medication. :good: A snail or two would be fine.

yeah i read up a fair bit on filters, and the media. and yeah apparently they tell you to change the cartridges monthly because the carbon begins to leak into the aquarium. and definitely don’t want that, but also dont want to be throwing away all the beneficial bacteria that grows on the filter media. so thats why i decided to mod the filter my way! and thanks i think a nerite snail will be added to the tank sometime soon then

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back