48l Tropical Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After having my aquarium set up for some time now, Yesterday I decided to make my first purchase of tropical fish for my 48 litre tank. I decided to go for a school of 10, neon tetras!
4DB24A03-F838-4F86-8A65-D56238CDA1DA.jpeg
76FC3FDC-11A7-4C58-A3A5-4ADA1C81726E.jpeg
6B192F1E-61EA-4DE2-AD92-1B997BD584BE.jpeg

The tank is looking good! I wouldn't have personally got 10 neon, for a 12.5 gallon tank... that's pushing it IMO. Also, your tank is a "high" tank, instead of a " long" tank. When you have a long tank, the fish have more room to swim. (Although IME, neon tetras aren't that active of swimmers anyway, so you should be OK)

Just don't get any more fish at the moment.

You could actually enter your tank in the current TOTM contest!

My input...

Those sword plants are gonna outgrow your tank and you should pull them up above the substrate a bit so that the white crown of the roots at the base of the leaves are exposed :)

The white arrow shows what i mean on my sword plants.
20200531_085620.jpg

I recently trimmed my swords. They get huge. My tank is 24 inches tall and the swords reach the top.

20200523_145925.jpg

Holy cow! Those are some big swords! :eek:
The giant mass in the middle is only two plants. Theres 2 smaller ones on the sides of both of them still growing in.
One of these swords was in my 20 gallon, it outgrew the tank so i moved it to my 46 gallon.
20200521_213343.jpg

This was the sword when i moved it!
20200403_153224.jpg

So be prepared that you may need to replace the sword plants once they get big :) if you like swords but want smaller, chain swords are much smaller

The tank is looking good! I wouldn't have personally got 10 neon, for a 12.5 gallon tank... that's pushing it IMO. Also, your tank is a "high" tank, instead of a " long" tank. When you have a long tank, the fish have more room to swim. (Although IME, neon tetras aren't that active of swimmers anyway, so you should be OK)

Just don't get any more fish at the moment.

You could actually enter your tank in the current TOTM contest!

Thanks mate, and ah hopefully my tank will be suitable enough for them. i’m only planning on maybe getting a snail or shrimp to help clean around the plants

My input...

Those sword plants are gonna outgrow your tank and you should pull them up above the substrate a bit so that the white crown of the roots at the base of the leaves are exposed :)

The white arrow shows what i mean on my sword plants.
View attachment 105634

I recently trimmed my swords. They get huge. My tank is 24 inches tall and the swords reach the top.

View attachment 105638

Thanks for the tip! i certainly will pull them up a bit. I knew they was quick growers, but i did not realise they would grow that big! any advice on the best way to trim down the plants if i ever needed too ?

Thanks for the tip! i certainly will pull them up a bit. I knew they was quick growers, but i did not realise they would grow that big! any advice on the best way to trim down the plants if i ever needed too ?
Upgrading tank size or selling the plants once larger may be the only option eventually, but for now, if any leaves start turning yellow or get holes, cut them right from the very bottom where the stem attaches to the rest of the plant.

Swords also will appreciate root tabs for fertilizer.

Ah right okay, i’ll keep that well noted! and great i’ll definitely give my plants a good inspection to see if any have turned yellow or have holes in. I’ll have a look into root tabs. i’m currently using Tropic Premium Nutrition for my plants!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back