420L Stocking Suggestions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, 

I currently have a 420L setup that has been running for a couple of years. 
Through recent events (I'd rather not get into it) I lost a lot of fish. Anyway, that has all passed and running smoothly again for a couple of months now.

I currently have 1 large male Convict, 2 smallish Bala Sharks (my Dad bought them -.-) and 3 old bristlenose. I'm wondering what I can put in with these guys that will hold their own. Generally I would put a bunch of Johanni in as my convict can be a bit bossy, but I'd like to see what people think. 

Suggestions would be spectacular. 

I have to say I'd ditch the sharks, Terrible fish for any tank. I myself think they should be banned for sale but there ya go.

In my 450L I have 

8x redline torpedo barbs
12 x rosy barbs
1 Syno catfish
1 L091 Pleco
2x t bar cichlids

I would be very careful adding anything, as by now the Convict should consider the tank "his" space.  Cichlids of any sort would probably not work.

As for the Bala Shark (so-called), this barb is obviously a shoaling fish that should have five minimum as it needs to develop a strong social structure or hierarchy within the group; at fewer numbers aggression is likely to increase significantly both to subofrdinate fish and other species.  But it also gets large, 14 inches in the aquarium though some sources report 16 inches, and it is a fast swimmer so space is crucial; an 8-foot tank is preferable.

Byron. 

Thanks for your replies I was beginning to think I wouldn't get any!

So basically my initial reaction to ditch the sharks and convict is looking like the way to go. I'm moving soon, and my Dad will be looking after the tank and I know he wants cichlids. 

With the choice that I ditch these guys, what would you recommend would be good stocking for this tank. I mix the lakes and have never had problems but I'd like to keep it stress free for my Dad. 

Thanks again. 

I will leave it for the more experienced cichlid aquarists to suggest options, but something that might help them is if you could indicate any preference.  For instance, are you looking at rift lake cichlids, with harder water?  Or Central American cichlids with more moderate water?  Obviously the two should not be combined.

And, thank you for your decision on the present fish, thinking of what is best for them.  Much better.
fish.gif

Byron.

We have quite hard water here so I'm thinking Africans. 

He loves Electric Yellows, Mainganos, Blue Dolphins, Marble and tangerine peacocks. 

Thanks again. 

Got rid of the boof head convict today. Was a little sad to see him go as I've had him for a few years, My local fish store gave me $10 for him which is more than what I was quoted before. I picked up 5 juvenile Electric Yellows. About 4cm long. From past experiences it looks like I have one male and 4 females. The male is extremely coloured up already with thick black fins - he's gorgeous. 

They look a bit lost in 420L haha! 
I've been going to this place for about 10yrs now and trust the guys judgement and advice. I asked him about Electric Yellows and Mainganos and he says this will work providing I have a group of 5-6 Mainganos - which is what I was aiming for! 

Tested my water before hand, everything is great, left only the blue light on while they settle, but looks like they're enjoying it!

I'm a little concerned at how low my nitrates are. (if that's even possible!?)

Ammonia :0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-5ppm

Running 2x Otto 2000 internals. 

As I mentioned before this tank has been set up for a couple of years now. Could it just be that because it only had the 2 Bala Sharks and Convict that the filters were doing an insanely good job? 
If that were the case, I would have thought that by adding 5 fish and the near week that has gone by the nitrate would have increased a bit? 

Any suggestions?

Nitrates should always be low, unless there is an issue (overloaded fish, too few water changes, overfeeding, etc).  Plants haven't been mentioned, they can keep nitrates low.  Then there are the bacteria that take up nitrate itself, plus the normal fixation of nitrate into nitrogen gas in certain spots in the substrate.

Edit.  Just occurred to me, if you are using the API liquid nitrate test kit, shake Regent #2 for a good 2 minutes.  The instructions at one time said 30 seconds, but this has frequently given false readings.

Byron.

Thanks for the reply. 

Funnily enough I tested again and shook the bottle for longer just on sheer curiosity! (I tested my other tank which is due for a water change and it did the same - very low reading).

Sure enough, this time I got a reading of 10-20ppm :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back