40g Breeder (36"x18"x16") Question

Fish'InMN

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have not posted in a long while, as school has kept me very busy. However, with the end of semester fast approaching :)drool:), I thought I might give myself a little treat and plan out a bigger system for next fall. As the topic says, I would like to upgrade to a 40g breeder. I plan on going pressurized with CO2, and have budgeted about $150 for that, though I believe I can do it for under $80.

The lighting I am considering:
1) 2 x 96W PC retrofit from AHSuppply, for 192W
2) 2 x 90W VHO retrofit, for 180W

Filtration is another matter, as I'm only familiar with HOBs. I imagine an Eheim or Fluval canister would certainly be sufficient, and would rather not use HOBs for the appearance aspect. Sumps and/or wet/dry systems are out of the question.

Plants would be fairly easy, despite the high light. Corkscrew Val, a nice carpet of hairgrass, a large anubias or crypt, etc. Fauna is another matter completely, but they'd have to be able to tolerate the light. :)

So, what should I choose for lighting and filtration?

Regards,
Marty

For filtration I'd have a look on ebay there's some good deals over here in the UK, so i should imagine they will be some fantastic ones over there.
I think on of the smaller ehime's would be your best bet, as they are better built, i know of quite a few people on this forum that have had problems with the fluval.

Your light seams a little high for they type of plants you have, as they will all grow in low light, unless you have other plans for the future :)
Personally I'm not a fan of VHO (the lamp that burns twice as bright only burns for half as long) if your on a budget standard T8's or PC would be better, and even T5 as they last for a year.

A cheaper option for the co2, don't buy a boxed system, have a look at buying the reg from a welding suppler, we get them fro £30 here so they should be a lot cheaper over there, you will need a little needle valve as well (dirt cheap) and you should easily find a cheap co2 cylinder from a beer gas, welding suppliers etc.

Good luck mate keep us posted.

I do plan on some "harder" plants once the tank has been established. I would like let the Vals completely take over the right 1/3 of the tank, to create a huge jungle, which should be easy. The left side will have a little hairgrass carpet in front, which might stay fairly low b/c of the lighting, and a few larger plants in back. Perhaps some Ludwigia glandulosa for the back left.

I agree with the VHO comment, it wasn't really my favorite. I think I may just go with the PCs, even though those bulbs retail for $30 each! I saw some deals on eBay though, 4 for $60.

Any specific model for the eheim? I'm thinking maybe a Classic 2215? I will browse eBay a bit more, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Marty

I have a 40g breeder with 160w of T5 lighting over it. Unless you are planning to completely fill the tank with high light requiring plants, I would strongly urge you to stay BELOW this number. Algae is a constant battle, even with a high tech CO2 setup, daily macro and micro fertilization, and a staggered lighting schedule (80w 3hours, 160w 4hours, 80w 3hours). Balance is very difficult to maintain in these high tech tanks, so unless you really need high light (>3wpg), stick with something in the 96-110w range. There are several light configurations in that range that work on a 36" tank.

Hope that helps...

I would rethink both the tank and plant selections. Yhe 40B is a nice tank, but not for hi tech planting as it is way too shallow. Remember you will need 3-4 inches of substrate. That will leave a scant 12 inches to the surface and the plants will reach that in a very few days for stems and a tad longer for others. I chose a 50 gal for mine and it is 2 inches deeper and I wish I had chosen taller.

Ferns and anubias in high light tanks are algae magnets unless they are underplanted so something else shades them.

I love AH Supply lighting- I run several of their kits over tanks and have not seen a superior reflector anywhere.

Reasonable enough, the next largest tank above your 50g is a 65g, 36"x18"x24". Minus a 4in substrate, still a decent amount at 20" deep. Not sure how I planned on working with 12" of tank water to begin with... thank you!

With 2 x 96W PC, its just below 3wpg, but probably enough for my "taste" in plants.

Thanks again,
Marty

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back