40 Gallon Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KingFisher735

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm new to the forum but I've kept fish for about 2 years now:)
I'm about to get a 40 gallon (36.25" x 18.25" x 17") tank and I was wondering what fish to put in it.
I would mainly like to have one fish species throughout the whole tank so it looks simple and nice(in my opinion)
I plan on going for a bare bottom tank but I will put a piece of driftwood with plants attached. Please let me know if I should do a planted tank for the fish I want to get.
I want to get some Denison Barbs but from what I understand they get pretty big..
As alternatives I want to get some Cardinal Tetras or some Blue Angelfish. Let me know if any of these are not going to work for my 40 gallon.
Thanks in advance!

I agree with @utahfish and @CryptFan I had a mated pair of angelfish in a 55 gallon tall, I would not suggest going any smaller than that. I now keep several shoals of tetra in my 55 gallon.

While we are waiting for the water parameters...

Agree that angelfish will not work in this small a tank. Nor will Denison Barbs.

You mention a bare bottom tank...this is not good. The substrate in an aquarium is the single most important factor in a healthy system. There are many species of bacteria that live in the substrate, some aerobic and some anaerobic, and they are essential. The filter does not provide this bed for them. A second issue is the fish...they will be less settled with no substrate, and that means stressed.

Some people do use non-substrate tanks to raise fry, and that can work with daily water changes. But this is not a permanent biological system.

I agree with the others

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back