40-gallon Neolamprologus Similis journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oh yah... Looks like a pretty cheaply made one tbh... Never go cheap with the heaters. You can try cheap filters but heater can blow, Crack, make a fish fry (not the baby type of fry either)

Oh yah... Looks like a pretty cheaply made one tbh... Never go cheap with the heaters. You can try cheap filters but heater can blow, Crack, make a fish fry (not the baby type of fry either)
I got it because someone here recommended it :)

It think I'll go with the 300watt eheim heater

Yaaaa I would always stick to name brand stuff for heaters.
I've heard eheim and fluval are both really really good
Qell actually I know fluval is good cause I have one and it keeps it very constant with no issues

I tested the temp of the water all over the tank and the surface was 75 but the bottom was 63.
lack of water movement that could be contributing to the bga problem.

Heaters should be placed as close to the bottom as possible so the heat rises up. Have them on a slight angle (about 30 degrees) with the heating coil lower than the thermostat.

How big is the tank?
You won't need a 300 watt heater unless the tank is 4 foot long or bigger. Even then I used a 200 watt heater for 4 ft tanks and a 300 watt heater for 6 ft tanks.

Rena and Eheim are good brands.

lack of water movement that could be contributing to the bga problem.

Heaters should be placed as close to the bottom as possible so the heat rises up. Have them on a slight angle (about 30 degrees) with the heating coil lower than the thermostat.

How big is the tank?
You won't need a 300 watt heater unless the tank is 4 foot long or bigger. Even then I used a 200 watt heater for 4 ft tanks and a 300 watt heater for 6 ft tanks.

Rena and Eheim are good brands.
It's a 40g breeder. For some reason, the 300watt is cheaper than the 200watt. Is there any negative effects of having the 300?

It's a 40g breeder. For some reason, the 300watt is cheaper than the 200watt. Is there any negative effects of having the 300?
Wow, ok
The only drawback is the heater could warm the water to a higher temperature than what it is set to, (eg: heater is set to 26C but warms the water to 30C). You will need to monitor the water temperature with a separate thermometer that is in the aquarium.

And if the heater fails and cooks the fish, it will cook them quicker with a 300 watt compared to a 200 watt. However, a good brand of heater shouldn't malfunction and cook them.

Wow, ok
The only drawback is the heater could warm the water to a higher temperature than what it is set to, (eg: heater is set to 26C but warms the water to 30C). You will need to monitor the water temperature with a separate thermometer that is in the aquarium.

And if the heater fails and cooks the fish, it will cook them quicker with a 300 watt compared to a 200 watt. However, a good brand of heater shouldn't malfunction and cook them.
Now you are scaring me lol.
It does get pretty cold here In the winter and we keep the side of the house with that tank a bit colder so maybe the stronger heater will be beneficial then?

If the aquarium is in a cool room, than a slightly higher wattage heater is less likely to have problems heating the water, and less likely to pack up due to be under more stress trying to keep the water warm.

I have 600 watts in my 90g 8’ square bottom tank. I have the 400 and 200 hooked up to a device that monitors them. Here’s a picture. You put in the temp you want it at and the berth it has (meaning +or- a couple degrees, I have mine set at 1), and it does a really good job. Of course I check mine every so often.
image.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back