40-gallon Neolamprologus Similis journal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Most of the "chemicals" that are sold online to treat blue green algae (bga) are actually antibiotics, which shouldn't be used to treat blue green algae.

If the bga falls out of the gravel cleaner and lands back in the tank, it will not die. It continues to grow. Use a net to scoop the stuff up ad remove it from the tank. Then gravel clean the substrate. Do this every day for a couple of weeks.

Reduce dry food going into the tank.
Increase water movement around the bottom.

If worse comes to worst, take the tank apart and wash it all out. Hose the sand out and clean it up and start again.

I don't know if a UV steriliser will make any difference to bga because it isn't in the water. The only things affected by a UV steriliser are microscopic things that pass through the UV unit. The bga is on the substrate and won't be passing through the UV unit.

Most of the "chemicals" that are sold online to treat blue green algae (bga) are actually antibiotics, which shouldn't be used to treat blue green algae.

If the bga falls out of the gravel cleaner and lands back in the tank, it will not die. It continues to grow. Use a net to scoop the stuff up ad remove it from the tank. Then gravel clean the substrate. Do this every day for a couple of weeks.

If worse comes to worst, take the tank apart and wash it all out. Hose the sand out and clean it up and start again.

I don't know if a UV steriliser will make any difference to bga because it isn't in the water. The only things affected by a UV steriliser are microscopic things that pass through the UV unit. The bga is on the substrate and won't be passing through the UV unit.
Actually it prevents spores from spreading. It doesn’t kill it, it prevents.

ok so i wont get those.
I'll try that. We'll see what happens.
Dry foods arent a problem for me. This tank gets frozen and live foods.
If I have to do that, would I clean the filter and everything?
I could just put the fish in a 5g bucket and than add them back in right? Of course I will have to monitor parameters to make sure that everythings good for a few days after.
That makes sense.

If you clean the tank then clean the filter but clean it in a bucket of tank water so you don't lose the beneficial bacteria.

The tank and substrate can be hosed out.

You can keep some of the water, drain it from the top half of the tank and put the fish and filter in a bucket. Then drain the rest out and wash the sand and tank. Then set it back up.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So it turns out my heater is only getting the bottom of the tank to roughly 63. Thats terrible. This is the heater:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X911TGC/?tag=ff0d01-20

Would a 300Watt be better for my tank?
HOw about something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003I5UC0W/?tag=ff0d01-20
I always have my thermometer diagonally across from my heater and placed mid-way going up. That way I always can see that the heater is heating the entire tank. And my filter is right next to the heater which helps

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I always have my thermometer diagonally across from my heater and placed mid-way going up. That way I always can see that the heater is heating the entire tank. And my filter is right next to the heater which helps
I tested the temp of the water all over the tank and the surface was 75 but the bottom was 63.

I tested the temp of the water all over the tank and the surface was 75 but the bottom was 63.
Weird but not weird as heat rises...
How high is your heater? If it is near the top I would try to put it closer to the bottom so that way it has to spread out a bit more

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back