40-gallon Neolamprologus Similis journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
she shouldn't need to bury the shell. Just have the shell opening facing up and let them choose which one they want.
OK thanks. I looked at some videos online and they seem to have the same behavior as the ones spawning in the videos so that seems like a good sign :)

They are getting big!

Here's a male from 4 months ago
1657460251046.jpeg

Here's the same male today
1657460308204.jpeg

Definitely gotten longer by at least double

AH these fish are SO cool. Aggro little guys though, so be really careful about your male to female ratio, ESPECIALLY if you already have a pair. I've heard they've even bitten keeper's fingers 😅. With a nice long tank like yours, you should be able to get a colony going, that's when the really cool behaviour starts. They'll start moving their shells around and forming little neighborhoods. It's pretty sick, I love these fish.

I'm fed up with this algae. I'm going to attempt a 72 hour blackout. After the blackout I will reduce lighting. Will this help?
It may help with algae but not plant growth

The plants will definitely help and Vallis is a plant native to Lake Tanganyika :) The way you have planted it might not end up looking the best? Unless you want it to fill out? Have you considered adding any rocks around the edge or the back? Floating plants might be worth a look, or some kind of riparian planting? Light will be a factor but with enough plants you will find a balance.

The plants will definitely help and Vallis is a plant native to Lake Tanganyika :) The way you have planted it might not end up looking the best? Unless you want it to fill out? Have you considered adding any rocks around the edge or the back? Floating plants might be worth a look, or some kind of riparian planting? Light will be a factor but with enough plants you will find a balance.
I was kind o hoping for them to fill out... How would you suggest planting them? I have thought of adding some rocks to the tank... One of this day's I plan on going up to the mountains and getting some nice rocks. They are quite expensive at my LFS. I did have a bunch of water sprite in the tank but the algae somehow killed it. What riparian planting?

I was kind o hoping for them to fill out... How would you suggest planting them? I have thought of adding some rocks to the tank... One of this day's I plan on going up to the mountains and getting some nice rocks. They are quite expensive at my LFS. I did have a bunch of water sprite in the tank but the algae somehow killed it. What riparian planting?
I think some rock work might make your fish settle in a bit better. Valis grows through runners so with it the way you have it you will end up with a tank full, if you can plant it closer together along the back or in the corners etc it will leave more swimming space for the fish. You can also use rocks to contain it and avoid it taking over the tank. One of the issues is with the way they are chopped off, this can sometimes kill off the leaf and you have to wait for new ones to grow with a pointed end.

I think some rock work might make your fish settle in a bit better. Valis grows through runners so with it the way you have it you will end up with a tank full, if you can plant it closer together along the back or in the corners etc it will leave more swimming space for the fish. You can also use rocks to contain it and avoid it taking over the tank. One of the issues is with the way they are chopped off, this can sometimes kill off the leaf and you have to wait for new ones to grow with a pointed end.
I forgot to respond to this :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

The plants arrived chopped off like that. Thankfully I already have some new leaves growing in.

The blackout didnt really help with the algae problem :-(

I'm getting kinda fed up with it. Are there any more suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Ive seen some chemicals online that supposedly get rid of it. Does anyone have experience with that?

When I gravel vac, the algae doesn't get sucked up. It just goes up the tube with the sand and then when I release the pressure it falls to the bottom and the sand falls on top. Will this kill it?

@Colin_T

Yes. Search up Nano+ water sterilizer, it works like a charm. You can also get one to attach to your filter, though those would only be applicable to canister filters. I have the nano+ sterilizer and it prevents algae from growing…ever. 100% worth it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back