40-gallon Neolamprologus Similis journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I really can't advice without water parameters. I can only say that even in 360l i had the only viable Tanganika surface fish was not thriving cause it was too small for it (i had cyprichromis leptosoma for 2 years or so). I then stopped caring about ph adjustment for my shell dwellers, let it drop to 7.4 or so and then went with daniels first for few years and then harlequin rasbora for 4 others. Never had agresivity issues with any of the surface fish towards bottom fish nor the other way. Though the rasboras are too cheeky and go to the bottom which only stresses the shellies. Any true surface fish like hatchet or nannostoma won't tolerate the hardness or the ph.
I read about Oryzias latipes which could theoretically fit parameters but i have zero research or experience

I can only say that even in 360l i had the only viable Tanganika surface fish was not thriving cause it was too small for it (i had cyprichromis leptosoma for 2 years or so).
interesting. I was considering cyprichromis leptosoma. I thought that my tank was large enough but I guess a 4ft tank would be needed.

Thanks for the response :)

hmm interesting. Any suggestions for surface fish? An open water fish would be best since the only decor is shells.
If you want to breed the cichlids, then avoid having other fishes with them. If you want something else in the tank, then a group of 6-10 small rainbowfish like Pseudomugil signifer or Melanotaenia praecox will add movement to the tank.

Put some Water Sprite in the tank and the shell dwellers might come out more.
If you don't have one, put a picture on the back of the tank to make them feel more secure.

Keep the water hard and alkaline (GH above 300ppm, pH above 7.6) so they do best. Lake Tanganyika has a GH around 400-450ppm and a GH between 8.5 & 9.0)

The following link has all the known rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea and the majority of them do well in hard water with a high pH.

If you want to breed the cichlids, then avoid having other fishes with them. If you want something else in the tank, then a group of 6-10 small rainbowfish like Pseudomugil signifer or Melanotaenia praecox will add movement to the tank.

Put some Water Sprite in the tank and the shell dwellers might come out more.
If you don't have one, put a picture on the back of the tank to make them feel more secure.

Keep the water hard and alkaline (GH above 300ppm, pH above 7.6) so they do best. Lake Tanganyika has a GH around 400-450ppm and a GH between 8.5 & 9.0)

The following link has all the known rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea and the majority of them do well in hard water with a high pH.
Ive got a black piece of foamboard on the back of the tank. I just through away a whole bunch of water sprite because i had no space. I'll add some from my 20g. That ones almost overflowing with water sprite :)

My water is about 200ppm. If i add some cichlid lake salt should i add it in small increments to avoid shock or is that not necessary?

Rainbow fish is a good idea. Im going to do some research on them :)

interesting. I was considering cyprichromis leptosoma. I thought that my tank was large enough but I guess a 4ft tank would be needed.

Thanks for the response :)
With leptosoma it is not size but length. 120cm is the barest minimum. They are fast swimmers and require large school.

If you add minerals, then they should be added to a container of water and mixed for 24 hours before being added to the tank.

UPDATE-
picked up another Similis at the store yesterday:
IMG_5171.JPG

sorry for the bad picture

So this morning when I turned on the lights two of the fish seem to have paired up. They are staying near each other and making sure the other male doesn't come close. Could this be spawning behavior?

Also, due to the algae problem, the female won't be able to bury the shell. Is this absolutely necessary for spawning?

So this morning when I turned on the lights two of the fish seem to have paired up. They are staying near each other and making sure the other male doesn't come close. Could this be spawning behavior?

Also, due to the algae problem, the female won't be able to bury the shell. Is this absolutely necessary for spawning?
Sounds like they maybe a pair! But I don't know much about cichlid spawing behavior... Sounds good though!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back