40-gallon Neolamprologus Similis journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
Reaction score
This will be a journal of a tank that I'm going to build.

It's going to be about 45 gallons.
I will build the tank from scratch myself. It will be around 36" 18" 18"

It will house Exlamprologus Similis. Not sure how many but I hope to raise them and sell them perhaps?

The substrate will be sand, and I will put a bunch of escargot shells on the sand.

Not sure what type of filtration to do. Any ideas? I might build a sump.

Heater ideas?

Not sure how long it will take to be finished but I will keep this thread updated!

This will be a journal of a tank that I'm going to build.

It's going to be about 45 gallons.
I will build the tank from scratch myself. It will be around 36" 18" 18"

It will house Exlamprologus Similis. Not sure how many but I hope to raise them and sell them perhaps?

The substrate will be sand, and I will put a bunch of escargot shells on the sand.

Not sure what type of filtration to do. Any ideas? I might build a sump.

Heater ideas?

Not sure how long it will take to be finished but I will keep this thread updated!
Cant wait to see it when its done! Keep us updated!

Wow definitely following this thread! Sounds like a very neat build! What are the benefits of building the tank yourself, vs going for a standard 40 breeder (36x18x16)? I have really like this heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X911TGC/?tag=ff0d01-20

for filtration, maybe an Aquaclear 50? It filters 200 gallons per hour so would get 5x turnover per hour about.

When you get the sand, a great way to save money is to buy a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand. It’s about $8 and 50 pounds is perfect for a 36x18 tank

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow definitely following this thread! Sounds like a very neat build! What are the benefits of building the tank yourself, vs going for a standard 40 breeder (36x18x16)? I have really like this heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X911TGC/?tag=ff0d01-20

for filtration, maybe an Aquaclear 50? It filters 200 gallons per hour so would get 5x turnover per hour about.

When you get the sand, a great way to save money is to buy a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand. It’s about $8 and 50 pounds is perfect for a 36x18 tank
I heard that building yourself is often cheaper than buying. Not sure about the validity of that though.

Thanks for the suggestions for the equipment!

Great advice on the sand.

Ive also heard that some glass shops have scraps they will give you for free. It would be awesome to make a 40g tank for just the price of silicone and tape!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I heard that building yourself is often cheaper than buying. Not sure about the validity of that though.

Ive also heard that some glass shops have scraps they will give you for free. It would be awesome to make a 40g tank for just the price of silicone and tape!
That would be pretty epic! And satisfying. If you have a glass shop who will give you scraps for free or very discounted prices, that’s a great way to go. You will want 6mm glass. If you watch Petco’s site, their 40 breeder tank goes on sale about 4 times a year for $50 instead of $120 or so. Might be worth it, by the time you factor in time

That would be pretty epic! And satisfying. If you have a glass shop who will give you scraps for free or very discounted prices, that’s a great way to go. You will want 6mm glass. If you watch Petco’s site, their 40 breeder tank goes on sale about 4 times a year for $50 instead of $120 or so. Might be worth it, by the time you factor in time
I heard that Petco is changing their 50% percent sale to a 30% sale due to a loss of revenue. Not sure if that's accurate though.

I heard that Petco is changing their 50% percent sale to a 30% sale due to a loss of revenue. Not sure if that's accurate though.
Interesting... that’s frustrating! I need to buy a 5 gallon tank:grr: They used to do $1/gallon, but took it down to 50%

I am currently trying to decide if I should buy the 40g breeder from Petco instead of building one from scratch. With the 50% sale, it will be cheaper than building( I think)

I am currently trying to decide if I should buy the 40g breeder from Petco instead of building one from scratch. With the 50% sale, it will be cheaper than building( I think)
It would be cheaper, easier, and safer I'd bet. IMO, I would try to build my own small tank, like a 5 gallon, and see how it went before I tried one that size... You may want to check that the sale is still going, I'm not seeing the sale prices anymore...

It would be cheaper, easier, and safer I'd bet. IMO, I would try to build my own small tank, like a 5 gallon, and see how it went before I tried one that size... You may want to check that the sale is still going, I'm not seeing the sale prices anymore...
noooooooooooooooooooooo!

I chatted with them earlier and they said it would last at least till tomorrow!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back