40-Gallon Breeder

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It started with a 10-gallon column tank for my desk...then it spread to another 10-gallon regular to quarantine fish...and now it is stepped up a notch to a 40-gallon breeder. I figured it would be helpful for myself to have a single place to check how the tank has progressed over time...
IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

11/20/2022 - Day One - Initial Tank Setup

Its looking really good!! I know its cycling but do you have a plan on what you want to stock it with? You have it planted, so that all should grow in very well!

Its looking really good!! I know its cycling but do you have a plan on what you want to stock it with? You have it planted, so that all should grow in very well!
I'm going to re-house my male blue dwarf gourami into the new tank as well as both mystery snails that are in my 10-gallon column today. That tank is going to house a new snail and a betta. I've also just picked up a pair of Electric Blue Ram's that will go into the new tank as well. They are currently in quarantine and cool little guys.

I'll probably do a handful of neon tetra's as I just love them and they remind me of my childhood. Outside of that, no idea.

I'm going to re-house my male blue dwarf gourami into the new tank as well as both mystery snails that are in my 10-gallon column today. That tank is going to house a new snail and a betta. I've also just picked up a pair of Electric Blue Ram's that will go into the new tank as well. They are currently in quarantine and cool little guys.

I'll probably do a handful of neon tetra's as I just love them and they remind me of my childhood. Outside of that, no idea.
I love all the fish you mentioned BUT I would not do the electric blue rams with the dwarf gourami... It may cause aggression issues...
Maybe others with more experience can advise further on that.

Otherwise I like your idea!

This was the only cichlid I was going to put in this tank more than likely. I can always re-house the gourami back in the 10-gallon column if things are looking dicey.

Don't forget rams need warmer water than most tropical fish so cardinal tetras or green/false neons (Paracheirodon simulans) would be better than cooler water neon tetras, but look similar.

IMG_4359.jpg

12/4/2022 - Day 14 - Captain's Log...I'm eager to put fish in this tank...but the cycle continues. It is going well, should be done in the next 10 - 12 days is my guess. I'd like the spider wood to calm itself as well prior to putting in the fish. The main reason is when I do the big water change I want to find some good moss or plant to glue to the flat tops of the wood on both the left and right side and middle. Suggestions welcome...

IMG_4374.jpg

12/5/2022 - Blacked out the back of the tank. Simply used poste board, cut to size and taped to the back/black rim of the tank. It's temporary but looks decent to me and was up in 2 - 3 minutes. I have some black suction cups coming for the air hose line, that will help the overall look.

IMG_4511.jpg

12/25/2022 - The tank is fully cycled and doing great with the handful of fish currently inhabiting the ecosystem. Since the last update I've added a few plants, changed out the air stone suction cups from white to black to hide them a little more, etc. Loving how it's coming together.

IMG_4553.jpg

1/4/2023 - Happy New Year! Tank continues to evolve, and I am loving every minute of it! I need a good bit more substrate, so I've added one 5-pound bag of sand thru-out the tank. I have another sitting on standby and it will go in at the next water change.

The Fluval 307 continues to work well, and I have yet to mess with it since installing. I figure with canister filters; you'll know when it's time to crack them open if you are in-tune with your fish and tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back