3ft Tank, 120 Litres. How Many Fish Can Be In The Tank?

Bambi211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
1 Male Siamese Fighter
1 Female Siamese Fighter
1 Male Swordtail
2 Female Plattys
1 Suckerfish
4 Corys
1 Female Black Mollie
10 Black Molly Fry
1 Platty fry
1 Angel Fish(small)
6 Neon Tetras
2 Clown Loaches (Small)

Is that ok for that size tank?

Im not keeping the fry, but i cant take them to the fish shop till there big enough because they wont take them.

Im only keeping two of the black molly fry.

They all seem really happy though.

How many more roughly can i add?

xx

It's not big enough for Clown Loach at all so they need to come out really they grow big and need lots of space. Removing them I would say that you are already at your limit not counting in the fry!! You should as a rule of thumb measure 1"(of adult size, not size you buy at) per US gallon. So you should be looking at about 30 adult inches.

I wouldn't have the bettas as they won't get on with the rest of the fish and also a male betta is very likely to kill the female, so thats a definate no no.

Do you have water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Your tanks severely overstocked.
Clown loaches need 90 gallon tanks as they grow bigger. They shouldn't really be kept in less than a group of 3.

Right ok. Thanks for advice.

My water stats are fine really...

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Ph - 8.5 (Which is too high i know, but i cant get it down???)

All my fish are pretty happy.

Why does the male fighter kill the female?

I could told at the fish shop, if you get more females to the male then the females bully the male?? :S so thats why i only got the one..?

xx

Male Bettas generally prefer to be on their own only being with the ladies when breeding ;). Although they can be little thugs they can also be very vulnerable and targets for fin nipping - which neons can be known for.

1 Male Siamese Fighter get rid
1 Female Siamese Fighter get rid
1 Male Swordtail
2 Female Plattys
1 Suckerfish get rid
4 Corys
1 Female Black Mollie
10 Black Molly Fry
1 Platty fry
1 Angel Fish(small) get rid
6 Neon Tetras
2 Clown Loaches (Small) get rid

Is that ok for that size tank? no

Im not keeping the fry, but i cant take them to the fish shop till there big enough because they wont take them.

Im only keeping two of the black molly fry.

They all seem really happy though.

How many more roughly can i add? non

xx

Agree with Truck :good:

Male betta splendens should Never be kept with female betta splendens except when spawning under strict conditions.

The pet store is right, if you keep a heap of females with the male, they will fight. This is because you can't keep females with males, full stop. Truck and bronzecat are right... the male will not like it in the tank with the neons and being in such an overstocked, crowded tank will cause him a huge amount of stress. You should take the male out and put him in a small tank (5 gallons) on his own. He will be a lot happier.

The clown loaches grow far, far too big for such a small tanks. They need to be kept in schools in very, very big tanks. You will need to get rid of them.

What is the suckerfish? If it's a bristlenose catfish, you can keep it. If it's a Chinese algae eater, it will get bigger and start eating all your small fish. If it's a common plec, it will grow to two feet long, so you will definitely need to rehome it.

The angelfish when it grows up will start eating your neons, so you'll need to get rid of that as well.

Thanks everyone.

I think im really going to need to do some thinking about the stocking, i need to find homes for a lot of them.

does anybody have any advice of good stocking for that size tank??

xxx

People are being to over the top. Depending on the size of your fish, your tank isnt overstocked.

What is the suckerfish? If its a species that gets big it will need to be rehomed eventually, and so will the clown loaches.

I had 6" huge angles with guppies and neons and they never ate any of them. I have mixed Male and female bettas but i found it to get to much for the male so i got him a 4 gallon fishbowl for like £5.

Other than that it sounds fine. Do you have any pics?

I have mixed Male and female bettas
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i found it to get to much for the male
Which is exactly why you SHOULDN'T keep mixed sex groups

so i got him a 4 gallon fishbowl for like £5.
A bowl cannot be fitted with a proper heater or suitable filter , which is why they are absolutely USELESS for keeping any sort of fish at all. You could have got a decent secondhand proper fishtank for not much more than that ( I picked up a 5 gallon at a Car Boot sale for £5 ) and set it up correctly with a heater and sponge filter.

I have mixed Male and female bettas but i found it to get to much for the male so i got him a 4 gallon fishbowl for like £5.

It obviously didn't work keeping them together then, which is the whole point of not encouraging people to keep them together in the first place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back