36gallon bowfront stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PastyPlayz

Reaction score
So I got a 36 gallon for Christmas. I have cycled it and have an Aquaclear 50 and a fluval 150 watt heater running on it. I currently have 5 black skirt tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, and 4 creamsicle mollies. I am planning on getting 2 angelfish ( probably both male), a school of 8 sterbai corys, another dwarf gourami, and 6 cherry barbs I think this should be ok but I would like a second opinion.

So I got a 36 gallon for Christmas. I have cycled it and have an Aquaclear 50 and a fluval 150 watt heater running on it. I currently have 5 black skirt tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, and 4 creamsicle mollies. I am planning on getting 2 angelfish ( probably both male), a school of 8 sterbai corys, another dwarf gourami, and 6 cherry barbs I think this should be ok but I would like a second opinion.
Jealous....:rolleyes: (Lol.)

All tetras need to be kept in groups of six or more. I suggest getting 1 more BST. The others...will need some other members advice. I know that @Fishmanic has angle fish, so consult with him on the 2 angles. The corys might be OK, depending on your water conditions. I would not recommend another DG, or the Cherry Barbs. Cherry barbs can turn aggressive in an over crowed tank.

This is all in my option and i would some other members advice. :)

Angelfish will not work here. I can guarantee the Black Skirt Tetras will literally nip them to death. The gourami may get targeted in time. Sedate fish cannot successfully be housed in a tank with fish known to fin nip at the slightest provocation--and even without.

I might as well mention other angelfish issues. Two males will soon be one male with the subordinate dead. This is a shoaling fish that develops an hierarchy within a group, but there must be five (or preferably a few more) and that means a much larger tank. Two, three or four fish rareely ends well, unless there is only one male or no males...and then there is the likelihood they will form a pair and spawn...the others may have to be removed. All this is still a much larger tank anyway.

The tetras would do better with a few more (shoaling fish appreciate more, and with known nippers it can sometimes help to keep the nipping within the group, but assuming there are no sedate fish present).

The cories will work with the tetras, or should. There is never a guarantee, we can only assume the fish will behave normally for the species but individuals can do otherwise.

Another factor is the hardness of the water, not mentioned. You have mollies which must have fairly hard water, while the other fish are soft water species that can manage in moderately soft/hard water to some degree. Knowing the GH (general hardness) and pH of your tap water (check this with the municipal water people, they may have it posted on their website) will help us help you. :fish:

Angelfish will not work here. I can guarantee the Black Skirt Tetras will literally nip them to death. The gourami may get targeted in time. Sedate fish cannot successfully be housed in a tank with fish known to fin nip at the slightest provocation--and even without.

I might as well mention other angelfish issues. Two males will soon be one male with the subordinate dead. This is a shoaling fish that develops an hierarchy within a group, but there must be five (or preferably a few more) and that means a much larger tank. Two, three or four fish rareely ends well, unless there is only one male or no males...and then there is the likelihood they will form a pair and spawn...the others may have to be removed. All this is still a much larger tank anyway.

The tetras would do better with a few more (shoaling fish appreciate more, and with known nippers it can sometimes help to keep the nipping within the group, but assuming there are no sedate fish present).

The cories will work with the tetras, or should. There is never a guarantee, we can only assume the fish will behave normally for the species but individuals can do otherwise.

Another factor is the hardness of the water, not mentioned. You have mollies which must have fairly hard water, while the other fish are soft water species that can manage in moderately soft/hard water to some degree. Knowing the GH (general hardness) and pH of your tap water (check this with the municipal water people, they may have it posted on their website) will help us help you. :fish:
Jealous....:rolleyes: (Lol.)

All tetras need to be kept in groups of six or more. I suggest getting 1 more BST. The others...will need some other members advice. I know that @Fishmanic has angle fish, so consult with him on the 2 angles. The corys might be OK, depending on your water conditions. I would not recommend another DG, or the Cherry Barbs. Cherry barbs can turn aggressive in an over crowed tank.

This is all in my option and i would some other members advice. :)
Ok just to let you know I bought all the black skirt tetras my local pet store had at the time. Because of the cold winter they have stopped getting a lot of their fish and I think your right about the cherry barbs so I will stay clear of those.

Also my BST seem very well tempered, they haven’t nipped at the other fish from what I have seen and I have seen other accounts on other websites saying black skirt tetras work with angelfish. The tetras all swim around the tank and don’t school unless I have to put my hand in the tank to catch my floating thermometer. And now that I think about if I were to get an angelfish. I would probably only get one but you never know, the tetras could be nippy tward angelfish.

Personally i wouldnt put skirts gouramis and angels together. Gouramis and angels can be territorial are both slow movers and skirts are known nippers. While they can all share the same water they might have a tough time sharing the same space and stress eachother out and stressed fish make for sick fish which turn into short lived fish. Try to find a mix of fish that create harmony and balance in your tank, your wallet will thank you in the long run and your fish will be happier. Good luck!

I know for a fact that male angle fish are very territorial, as @utahfish said above. So stay clear of those. Unless you want to do a angles only tank?

I know for a fact that male angle fish are very territorial, as @utahfish said above. So stay clear of those. Unless you want to do a angles only tank?
Angels are tertitorial but do well with smaller dither fish like tetras. Small shoaling fish in groups help bigger slower moving fish like angels feel safe. Pairing angels with gouramis could be a mess though as they inhabit the same area of the tank the top and are both territorial and as mentioned before skirts are natorious fon nippers.

I concur. If you where to leave out the Gouramis, this might work. But, BST are fin nippers, so be warry of that. ;)

Some examples of dither fish that will fit with angels or gouramis, neons cardinals rummy nose ember glo light black neon von rio tetras, rasboras, cherry barbs. All these do best in large shoals, 6 or more, more is better. If you want to keep skirts some fish that may go with them are other larger bodied tetras like congos, serpaes, phantoms, red eye, red blue tetra and buenos aires or faster tetras like blue tetras and blood fin tetra.Id stay away from anything with long fins or slow moving with these larger bodied tetras as they can be nippy and bullies and faster tetras like blue and blood fin will stress the slower fish out. Mollies and platies swords could probably be ok with skirts and nippers as they can hold their own and occupy top more than mid like tetras as long as they werent the long finned variety and then any bottom dwelling fish will be ok. Cories, plecos, loaches ect...

Another factor is the hardness of the water, not mentioned. You have mollies which must have fairly hard water, while the other fish are soft water species that can manage in moderately soft/hard water to some degree. Knowing the GH (general hardness) and pH of your tap water (check this with the municipal water people, they may have it posted on their website) will help us help you.
You do need the answer to this question.

I still can’t get over that you got it for Christmas and it’s cycled already- also I would caution against adding too many fish too fast, regardless of type. It is difficult for the good bacteria to keep up with the large bioload immediately. This is coming from personal experience and mistakes I’ve made. Makes things more difficult but not impossible. This may not be relevant if your tank is truly cycled but if it isn’t then my unsolicited advice is get the api test kit plus get the additional kh liquid test bottle plus Seachem prime is great to have on hand. Also you will be well acquainted with the gravel vac and a couple of good buckets :) happy fishkeeping!!!

I still can’t get over that you got it for Christmas and it’s cycled already- also I would caution against adding too many fish too fast, regardless of type. It is difficult for the good bacteria to keep up with the large bioload immediately. This is coming from personal experience and mistakes I’ve made. Makes things more difficult but not impossible. This may not be relevant if your tank is truly cycled but if it isn’t then my unsolicited advice is get the api test kit plus get the additional kh liquid test bottle plus Seachem prime is great to have on hand. Also you will be well acquainted with the gravel vac and a couple of good buckets :) happy fishkeeping!!!
I used bacterial starter that even stated that it allowed for the instant addition of fish but I waited 2 days after I added it to get some fish and I didn't add the fish all at once. Thanks for your concern though and Happy Fish Keeping to you as well

GH is more important than pH. This why we keep asking for your tap water GH. You have fish that come from hard water and some that come from soft water. One group or other will not be happy.

Most reactions

trending

Back