320L Planted Tank (A Right Sticky Mess!)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

biohazard156

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well it's about time I got this up and running. It's been planned for a few weeks after spotting an amazing tank on an aquascaping website. Most of the plants are reused from my old tank and the wood is redmoor root which gives great shapes.

I'm hoping to use the height to give angelfish a good home here as it's 2ft tall.

Anyway, some pics and stats. (This all got done in 8 hours, so not a terribly long journal an the pics are all from my phone so I apologise!)

Tank is a Fluval Osaka 320, 4ft (l) x 2ft (h) x 1.5ft (w). 320l roughly
Lights are 2 x HO T5 39w tubes
Filters are Eheim 2217 and an APS 1400EF
Heater 300w APS
Substrate: playsand
Decor: lava rock and redmoor root

Plants:
Java fern and java fern trident
Anubias (various)
Bolbitus
Various crypts
Nymphea Lilly bulb
Aponogeton bulb

Background was frosted window film and is uplighted by some LEDs from IKEA which are hidden at the back of the tank (outside!)

I'm hoping to have an amazon theme, but will be keeping my odds and sods of fish that i have which do include some Asian species (khuli x 4, 1 x danio rerio, 2 x Garra flavatra)

Most others are South American (2 bristlenose, 2 bumblebee cats, 3 whiptails and some cardinals and rummynose)

Will upload pics soon as this doesn't seem to like me doing it from my phone!

Looking forward to this!  Your last tank was a great inspiration to me.

I'd love to see some pictures of what the LED backlighters look like.  I use frosted film as background as well and I've been looking for backlighting ideas.

So, the pics as promised!  I have to apologise for the fuzzy quality, they are from my iphone!

Here is some of the wood which was used in the tank

photo5_zps114c6dda.jpg

photo13_zpscd9be34d.jpg

Tank just after emptying - with black background

photo11_zpsabd4699b.jpg

Tank with new background on it :

photo12_zps369802f2.jpg

Some of the construction mess:

photo33_zps43c911c0.jpg

photo22_zpsa7f19769.jpg

Half way through - plants attached and positioning in tank!

photo41_zps4ac56458.jpg

photo23_zps10a227dc.jpg

Filled with water and a bit cloudy!

photo34_zpsfc3c829c.jpg

This morning - all Clear!

photo32_zps05d7ca4f.jpg

Beautiful!  I love your style of taking plants and hardscape right to the top of the tank and going for a natural jungle look.   I would never have thought of using wood in that arrangement but it looks amazing.  Make sure you update this as it grows in!

Thought I would update a week into it, with a better FTS from my decent camera :)  Hope you like!

FTS_zps4020a4d6.jpg

The lighting is gorgeous - that light blue colour gives it a really tropical look!  Very vibrant colours.

Not grown in too much, but thought I would update with a FTS and a few pics of my angels which I got a couple of weeks ago!  Also a couple of other residents! Fish photography still leaves much to be desired!

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2879-1.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

I love the way the moss is creating a natural canopy, very rainforest-esque!  Lovely fish too.

Do the branches ever get in your way during maintenance?  Mine definitely do!

What a beautiful tank! Your fish must love it.

The branches are a bloody nightmare to get past!!! The worst are the far left one and the far right which sticks out the water a bit! Causes no end of annoyance!

Moss seem to be doing well, which is unusual for me as I seem to kill moss!! Fingers crossed it doesn't die!

Thanks guys :)

Your tank is so beautiful. An inspiration to all.

Quick update on the tank now it's grown in for a while!  No more moss sadly as the Angelfish decided it was good to pull apart for some reason!!

Most reactions

trending

Back