30gal Planted Adventure

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Woodlol

Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've always been a big 10gal betta tank fan, planted little 5-10gal with one or maybe two fish tops. This is quite the undertaking for me as I'm really moving out of my comfort zone. Going from anubias and moss balls to more challenging plants! After over a month of cycling to get the water right I've finally gotten my hardscape started.

Note that the picture is the day of planting so everything looks a little wonky and cloudy from disturbing the substrate. In the first picture you can see I was seeding with substrate and rocks from one of my established tanks. The right picture is right after putting in the first plants. Very excited!! Will post as things progress.

I'm looking for stocking ideas if anyone has suggestions! I'm very partial to gouramis but am open to other ideas once the plants have gotten themselves established.

Attachments

• 20220524_105034.jpg
    20220524_105034.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220531_210742.jpg
    20220531_210742.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 59
Looking really good! Have you thought about adding some black lava rock too? It would help blend the red to the substrate and make it look more natural.

If you've got the right kind of water a south east asian tank would be nice with Pearl Gourami, Ruby Barbs, Harlequins and Dwarf Chain or Zebra Loaches?

Wills

I was thinking of ways to tie in the red lava rocks more, I like your idea! I'm probably going back to the shop to look for more rocks soon. The wall behind the tank is dark green so I was trying to get some contrast going.

I'm hoping to eventually get some pearl grass carpeting in the front as well, and I was considering frogbit up top but it has a habit of going bananas and blocking the light from everyone else.

Pearl gouramis were my first choice, but wouldn't barbs go after the gouramis fins? I've had tiger barbs before and they were usually pretty aggressive with ANY labyrinth fish (angels, gouramis, bettas, etc)

I was thinking of ways to tie in the red lava rocks more, I like your idea! I'm probably going back to the shop to look for more rocks soon. The wall behind the tank is dark green so I was trying to get some contrast going.

I'm hoping to eventually get some pearl grass carpeting in the front as well, and I was considering frogbit up top but it has a habit of going bananas and blocking the light from everyone else.

Pearl gouramis were my first choice, but wouldn't barbs go after the gouramis fins? I've had tiger barbs before and they were usually pretty aggressive with ANY labyrinth fish (angels, gouramis, bettas, etc)
Tiger barbs and ruby barbs are not comparable as far as behavior is concerned; rubys would be just fine with gouramis

TBs are nasty little buggers that need to be kept on their own ;)

Nice to see another fellow Texan here...

That sounds good you can get lava rock that has a bit of red in a mainly black stone too which would help them blend even more. I'd think about a few more bits of wood too either to build out that island or coming in from the back corners more?

Some Bucephalndra would look good in here too, some of the redy/purple ones would be really nice. Some of the red/purple cryptos would be nice too!

I agree with Slap that Ruby Barbs are so different to tigers but commonly chucked in the same category but really different fish - gorgeous though!

Wills

I'll have to check bucephalandra out! I haven't heard of that one. But yes some deeper greens or purples would help everything blend a little more. It's a bit stark right now haha

That's interesting about the ruby barbs, maybe...

Pair of Pearl Gouramis
8 Ruby Barbs
3-4 Loaches?

I'm going to be transferring in some pond snails in from my 10gal when they get pig enough. Right now I've just got one big one and a bunch of little babies. The nice thing about loaches is that they love eating snails so much haha natural population control...

Looks good but go for 6 of the Loaches - which do you prefer dwarf chain or zebra? There are some other loaches out there that are in that 2-2.5 inch range but these two are my favourites. You could eventually add in a school of small Rasbora too like one of the Harlequins but see how you get on with these first.

Though I have assumed you have neutral/soft water? Is that correct?

Wills

The water was neutral yesterday when I tested before planting, but I'm guessing it will soften up with all the flora.

I guess considering where they occupy the tank that many would do alright together! PG on the surface, barbs central, and loaches on the bottom.

I don't really have a preference for type of loaches. Haven't had them in several years, though (this might sound silly) but the cooler looking they are the better. My 6 month old baby girl LOVES to watch the fish, I'm trying to make this tank something she'll enjoy watching. That's why I'm trying to make it colorful but not too bananas.

My 10gal I stocked with porkchop rasbora that have that flashy orange coloring and she adores those.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back