Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No that's ok

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a 30cm cube, 22l tank, and have it set up for a single Betta.
I recently saw this scape on Instagram from a veteran of the hobby, it was the same size tank, and it was stocked with a Betta, and 11 neon tetras aswell as some RCS

That seems so crazy to me.
Am I right in thinking that is just ridiculous?!

Follow up, I'd love to know what youd put in a 22l cube?

I have a 30 cm cube tank. It used to have a male betta and a nerite snail. The betta died shortly after the new pearl gouramis in the main tank started eating my shrimps, so the shrimps got moved into the small cube with the snail.

There is no way I'd keep neon tetras in a tank with a 30 x 30 cm (12 x 12 inch) footprint. Nor even something smaller like ember tetras or even chili rasboras in my tank. I tried chili rasboras - they are now in my main tank. Strangely, the pearl gouramis ignore them.

I have a 30 cm cube tank. It used to have a male betta and a nerite snail. The betta died shortly after the new pearl gouramis in the main tank started eating my shrimps, so the shrimps got moved into the small cube with the snail.

There is no way I'd keep neon tetras in a tank with a 30 x 30 cm (12 x 12 inch) footprint. Nor even something smaller like ember tetras or even chili rasboras in my tank. I tried chili rasboras - they are now in my main tank. Strangely, the pearl gouramis ignore them.
Exactly my thoughts too. Seems crazy to me!
Chili's are pretty cool! I was close to getting some for my main tank but chose Harlequins instead

I have a 30cm cube, 22l tank, and have it set up for a single Betta.
I recently saw this scape on Instagram from a veteran of the hobby, it was the same size tank, and it was stocked with a Betta, and 11 neon tetras aswell as some RCS

That seems so crazy to me.
Am I right in thinking that is just ridiculous?!

Follow up, I'd love to know what youd put in a 22l cube?
it is ccompletley ok! red cherries may be harrased and killed and eaten by the betta so..

Exactly my thoughts too. Seems crazy to me!
Chili's are pretty cool! I was close to getting some for my main tank but chose Harlequins instead
a single betta and 1 big snail is perfect for 22l

I would take it a step further @WhistlingBadger. I would say a 15-20 gallon is a minimum for neon tetras. They need a lot more space than people think.
yea , op, what are your water conditions you might have to add ph up or ph down because if you are planning to add shrimp you might need to reconsider because their ph is different and bettas will slaughter shrimp (oo f i already said that)

I wouldn't use any tank that was less than 2ft long x 1ft wide x 1 ft high.

If you had no other choice, maybe a pr of mystery snails and some shrimp, but it's too small for most fish. A single Male Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) might be ok but everything else will want some room to move.

yea , op, what are your water conditions you might have to add ph up or ph down because if you are planning to add shrimp you might need to reconsider because their ph is different and bettas will slaughter shrimp (oo f i already said that)
Oh yeh my waters fine for shrimp, my other tank has alot, but I wouldn't be adding anything else to my Betta. He's on his own for a reason. He was moves from my community tank, after about 8 months he started getting more and more aggressive and I visibly watched him preying on the shrimp, so I got him moved.
He's fine in there on his own, i just wanted to post about the tank I saw and get the common consensus of what folk thought about its stocking :)

I think the general consensus is that it's OK for a betta, and shrimps if the betta leaves them alone, but the person on Instagram, veteran hobbyist or not, should not have neons in there as well.

I think the general consensus is that it's OK for a betta, and shrimps if the betta leaves them alone, but the person on Instagram, veteran hobbyist or not, should not have neons in there as well.
Yeah that's exactly what I thought.
Just seemed incredibly overstocked and cruel.
My 15gal Long, is stocked with only a small number of fish more than that 5gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back